Susan Slusser reports that the Oakland Athletics have signed Adam Rosales to a one year deal.
Rosales, who hit a decent .229/.319/.495 in 105 games for the Padres last year while playing every position except pitcher, catcher and center field, was with the A’s between 2010 and 2013. 2013 was particularly fun as this happened to him:
- As August 2013 dawned, Rosales was an Athletic;
- The Athletics DFA’d him on August 2 and he was claimed by the Rangers;
- He joined the Rangers, got his uniform, learned their signs and then was promptly DFA’d three days later.
- He was claimed by the Athletics on August 8, flew to Toronto and joined his team as it prepared to face the Blue Jays.
- On August 9, the Athletics once again DFA’d him.
- On August 12 the Rangers claimed him.
He stuck with the Rangers for a while after that and somehow spent all last season with the Padres. Now he’s back in Oakland.
Texas: you’re on the clock.
The Red Sox are the latest team to extend the protective netting at their ballpark this winter. According to a statement by club president Sam Kennedy, the exact dimensions of the netting have yet to be determined, but it will likely stretch “all the way to Field Box 79, down the left field line and then all the way down to almost Canvas Alley in the Field Box 9 area.”
Fenway Park received additional protective netting prior to the 2016 season, when the netting behind home plate was lengthened to the home and visitor dugouts. Per Kennedy’s statement, the current expansion should cover everything but the outfield corners, making it nearly impossible for a line drive foul to reach fans in the lower boxes.
After a toddler sustained serious injuries from a 105-MPH foul ball to the face at Yankee Stadium last September, over half of all MLB teams decided to take more extreme preventative measures in advance of the 2018 season. The Brewers, Cardinals, Braves, Astros, Royals, Pirates, Rangers, Padres, Nationals, Mariners, Phillies, Mets, Reds, Blue Jays, Giants, Yankees, Twins and Indians are among the organizations to address the issue over the last several years, while others have yet to take significant action.