Getty Images

Cubs, Jake Arrieta avoid arbitration with one-year, $15.637 million deal

5 Comments

The Cubs reportedly agreed to a one-year, $15.3675 million deal with right-hander Jake Arrieta on Friday, per FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman. Arrieta is entering his third and final year of arbitration eligibility, and Carrie Muskat of MLB.com points out that only the Nationals’ Max Scherzer received a higher raise for a third-year-eligible starter, at $8.8 million in 2014.

Arrieta, 30, followed a career-best performance in 2015 with an 18-8 record, 3.10 ERA and 3.8 fWAR over 197 1/3 innings in 2016. His strikeout rate dipped from a 9.3 SO/9 to 8.7, while his walk rate hit a 3.5 BB/9 clip, nearly double that of his previous season totals. Although he was unable to successfully defend his 2015 Cy Young title, Arrieta delivered his second career no-hitter against the Reds in April and pitched to a 3.63 ERA over 22 1/3 innings during the Cubs’ championship run.

If any extension talks have progressed this month, as Arrieta’s agent, Scott Boras, hinted they would back in December, nothing has been publicized just yet. The Cubs have yet to confirm the settlement.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
7 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.