AP Photo/Paul Sancya

Zach Britton: “[The Orioles] took away the individual approach to everything.”

14 Comments

Jake Arrieta‘s second career no-hitter, authored last Thursday, brought yet more scrutiny to the Orioles, the team with which Arrieta began his professional baseball career. The O’s selected him in the fifth round of the 2007 draft. He quickly garnered respect, as he was ranked among baseball’s top-100 overall prospects going into the 2009 and ’10 seasons by both Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.

However, Arrieta never found success in Baltimore. He made 63 starts and six relief appearances for the Orioles in the big leagues, but mustered only a 5.46 ERA with a 277/159 K/BB ratio in 358 innings. On July 2, 2013, the Orioles traded him with reliever Pedro Strop to the Cubs in exchange for pitcher Scott Feldman and catcher Steve Clevenger. Boy, would the Orioles like to have that one back.

Arrieta, though, was one of a handful of heralded pitchers in the Orioles’ system. Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz, and Zack Britton were among the arms frequently rated among the organization’s top-10 in some order. Matusz transitioned to relief work in 2012 after struggling as a starter, where he’s had more success but hasn’t provided nearly as much value as the Orioles had hoped. Tillman has had a few solid years out of the rotation, but has mostly been inconsistent and owns a career 4.20 ERA. Britton went from failed starter to lights out reliever, with an aggregate 1.75 ERA in 149 1/3 innings since the start of the 2014 season.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports caught up with Britton, wondering why the Orioles haven’t been able to turn any of their four pitching prospects into a legit major league starter. It sounds like former pitching coach Rick Adair had a lot to do with it.

“They took away the individual approach to everything,” Britton said. “Things we did extremely well in the minor leagues to get to the big leagues – we were told that just doesn’t work here. And you’re like, ‘That’s kind of weird, right?’ You don’t just reinvent yourself in the big leagues. That was the struggle. And the struggle, as we got older, was trying to get back to what made us what we were before.”

Adair took a “personal leave of absence” in August 2013 and never returned.

As Passan notes, Arrieta had a cutter, but the Orioles forbade him from throwing it. According to FanGraphs, Arrieta didn’t throw a cut fastball until 2013, the year he was traded to the Cubs. 6.1 percent of his pitches were cutters that year, followed by 28.3 percent in 2014, 29.1 percent last season, and 23.3 percent so far this year.

Britton thinks that if Arrieta had spent time with the Orioles’ current pitching and bullpen coaches — Dave Wallace and Dom Chiti, respectively — he would have flourished. “With Dave and Dom, if Jake had the opportunity to work with them, I don’t see why he wouldn’t have done here what he’s done there,” he said. As Britton notes, Arrieta always had that kind of talent. The difference was that the Cubs allowed Arrieta to pitch the way he was comfortable pitching and the Orioles didn’t.

When an outfielder played shortstop in the World Series

3 Comments

My friend Rob Neyer has a good story up over at The National Pastime Museum today. It’s about how, in 1968, the Detroit Tigers used an outfielder who had never played a single moment at shortstop as a professional as their starting shortstop in the god dang World Series.

That man was Mickey Stanley. The manager who put him at short was Mayo Smith. And, of course, the Tigers won that World Series. As Rob explains, however, the decision was not made as impulsively as quick-and-dirty summaries of the 1968 World Series often suggest. Go check out his story to see why this strange set of events was put into play and just how Smith did it.

The Mickey Stanley-at-shortstop story was like a minor religious parable when I was growing up in Michigan and following the Tigers in the late 70s and early 80s. When 1968 came up, people who remembered it talked about Mickey Lolich’s World Series heroics first, Denny McCain’s 31-win regular season second and Mickey Stanley at short third. Indeed, I think it messed up a whole generation of Tigers fans, making them think you could just plug any old player in at any position and it’d just work.

That usually doesn’t happen, but it worked at least once.

Rich Hill had a disastrous rehab start

Getty Images
3 Comments

Rich Hill who, as always, has been suffering from a severe blister problem on his pitching hand, was supposed to throw four innings in a rehab start for High-A Rancho Cucamonga. It didn’t go four innings.

Hill threw only 29 pitches, allowing four runs on three hits and one walk in two-thirds of an inning. Hill says he didn’t suffer a physical setback as far as the blister went, and the fact that he threw 30 more pitches in the bullpen after his departure supports that. But something was off for sure.

The Dodgers are 15-14 and, after a bit of a bumpy start seem to be in pretty decent shape. But you can bet they’d rather have a healthy Hill back in their rotation over Alex Wood as soon as possible. But right now, it doesn’t look like it’ll be soon.