Former Mets executive sues Jeff Wilpon, alleging he fired her for having a baby without being married

58 Comments

It’s been a banner week for sports figures treating women like crap. So let’s throw these allegations in a lawsuit against Jeff Wilpon and Mets, filed by the team’s former executive vice president for marketing and ticket sales. From the New York Post:

A former high-ranking franchise executive claims she was canned by the team because COO Jeff Wilpon objected to her becoming pregnant out of wedlock, according to a stunning Brooklyn federal court lawsuit filed Wednesday. Jeff is the son of Fred Wilpon, who owns the team.

Penn grad and former soccer player Leigh Castergine said Wilpon and the Mets dumped her from her powerful position as head of marketing and ticket sales last month because the bumbling ownership was “morally opposed” to her out-of-wedlock pregnancy.

Here is the complaint.

Castergine claims that Wilpon told senior executives that he was ‘morally opposed’ to her  ‘having this baby without being married,’” and claims that Wilpon told her that, “when she gets a ring, she will make more money and get a bigger bonus.” After she had the baby he criticized her for remaining unmarried and for not being as “aggressive” as she once was. When she complained to HR, she was fired, she claimed.

You can’t do that sort of thing, see, because (a) it’s illegal; and (b) even if it wasn’t illegal, it’s not right to treat people like garbage. Whether what happened fit either of those descriptions will be determined as the case proceeds, of course.

But really: having to market and sell tickets for the Mets is already a degrading experience. That anyone would make that worse is beyond the pale.

Cardinals option Aledmys Diaz to Triple-A

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Cardinals announced on Wednesday that shortstop Aledmys Diaz has been optioned to Triple-A Memphis and infielder Alex Mejia’s contract has been purchased from Memphis.

Diaz, 26, impressed last season when he posted an .879 OPS and finished fifth in National League Rookie of the Year balloting. This year has been rough on Diaz, as he’s batting .260/.293/.396 with seven home runs and 20 RBI in 288 plate appearances. He’s the second major Cardinals player to get sent down to the minors along with Randal Grichuk.

Diaz was surprised by the demotion. Via MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch:

Mejia, 26, opened the season with Double-A Springfield but was promoted to Triple-A two weeks ago. With Springfield, he hit .251/.305/.366 in 251 PA. In 42 PA with Memphis, he hit .263/.333/.289.

Report: Red Sox, Yankees have contacted Marlins about Martin Prado

Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
1 Comment

With just over a month to go before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, trade rumors are beginning to crop up. According to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports, the Red Sox and Yankees have each reached out to the Marlins about infielder Martin Prado.

The Marlins enter play Wednesday 35-40 and in third place in the NL East. They are expected to continue to sell after trading shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria to the Rays. However, as the club itself is in the middle of rumors with a handful of prospective new owners, major pieces like Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich probably won’t be moved until that is settled.

Prado, 33, is hitting .277/.299/.398 with two home runs and nine RBI in 87 plate appearances. He has played in only 21 games due to calf and hamstring injuries. When he’s healthy, though, he is typically productive and he can play all four infield positions as well as the outfield corners. Prado is under contract for the next two seasons as well, at $13.5 million and $15 million.

With either the Red Sox or Yankees, Prado would likely assume third base. The Red Sox have gotten a major league-worst .562 out of its third basemen while the Yankees have gotten a .678 OPS, 24th out of 30 teams.