Dustin Pedroia suffered a concussion last Saturday when he took a forearm to the head in a collision with Rays infielder Logan Forsythe at second base, but Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that he’s expected to return tomorrow.
Pedroia dealt with dizziness and sleep problems initially and “didn’t feel quite right” when he tried to ramp up activities on Tuesday, but he was able to make it through his usual pre-game routine this afternoon at Yankee Stadium, including a full round of batting practice. He still has some hurdles to cross, but all signs point toward him being in the lineup for the start of a series against the Blue Jays in Fenway Park.
“We’ve got to get him one final medical exam tomorrow,” said John Farrell, “but at this point, things are looking like he’ll be on the field and in the lineup tomorrow.”
Pedroia, 31, is batting .280/.340/.379 with seven home runs and 51 RBI over 131 games this season. He’s still making contact as much as ever before, but he has struggled to rediscover his power since his thumb injury last year.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.