Bartolo Colon somehow cleared waivers. Not sure how given how the Angels could desperately use a starting pitcher, but he did. Maybe no one wants to pay him $11 million next year. Seems to me that you’d want to do everything you can to improve on Wade LeBlanc and avoid having to play in the wild card game where you may be facing Felix Hernandez, Max Scherzer or Danny Duffy, but what do I know?
I know this much — because I read Andy Martino’s story about it — there is still interest in Colon:
There is still active interest in Colon. One American League executive identified that Angels, Dodgers and Royals as teams he expected to be most engaged.
“The Angels will be all over him,” the exec said. “They don’t have many prospects, but I believe the Mets want to clear the money.”
Which again makes me wonder why they didn’t just claim him, but whatever.
What I don’t get is why the Royals would be interested. They are fourth in starter ERA in the American League and have four above average starters. Their fifth — Jeremy Guthrie — is having a year about the same as Colon is. You’re going to give up a prospect for that upgrade?
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.