Over the weekend Carlos Beltran was cleared to play the outfield for the first time since May, but now his season-long elbow problems have returned and the 37-year-old has been scratched from the Yankees’ lineup.
Beltran was slated to start tonight at designated hitter, but instead Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reports that he’ll be examined further by doctors. He’s been playing through bone spurs in his elbow with little success, hitting a career-low .233 with 14 homers and a .707 OPS that’s his lowest since 2003.
That poor overall production includes a current 1-for-28 (.036) slump in his last eight games and Beltran apparently tweaked his elbow on a swing Tuesday. It’s long been assumed that Beltran will undergo offseason surgery to remove the bone chips and it’s possible the Yankees will decide to shut him down early.
Beltran is under contract for $15 million in both 2015 and 2016.
Last month, free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon told reporters that he’d be open to taking a minor league deal in 2018, but only if he was guaranteed a return to the Mets’ system. The 44-year-old starter is nearing the end of a 20-year career, and it makes sense that he’d want to have one last hurrah in the city where he had some of his most productive years.
Now, Twins starter Ervin Santana tells Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press, it looks like the Mets might also be open to a reunion. It’s doubtful that Colon has all that much left in the tank, especially following a combined 7-14 record and 6.48 ERA for the Braves and Twins last year, but he’s not necessarily looking to reproduce the 15+ win, sub-4.00 ERA totals of years past.
Instead, Santana says, Colon is seeking the opportunity to win just six more games. He’ll enter the 2018 season five wins shy of the all-time record for a Latin American-born player, and is hoping to claim that title for himself before he enters retirement in 2019. Former Orioles and Expos hurler Dennis Martinez currently holds the record after clinching his 245th win back in 1998. While it took Colon a full season of starts to come up with even seven wins in 2017, he’s only one year removed from a 15-win campaign in 2016. Provided that the Mets are willing to gamble on him again, the milestone may not be that far out of reach.