It appears Hanley Ramirez will reach free agency.
Dodgers president Stan Kasten told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that contract talks with the injury-prone 30-year-old shortstop have been tabled until after the 2014 season. “Both sides have agreed we’ll sit down and talk at the end of the season and decide,” said Kasten. “We both decided that makes the most sense. As difficult a season as he’s had physically, there is still lots of time for him to have an enormous impact for us. … We love Hanley.”
Ramirez has appeared in only 100 of the Dodgers’ 125 games this year and is currently on the disabled list with an oblique strain. He has also batted just .277/.367/.455 in 2013, way down from his outstanding .345/.402/.638 batting line from 2014.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported in May that Hanley was seeking a deal worth in excess of $130 million. The Dodgers are flush with cash, but that’s still a really risky commitment for a guy who has struggled to stay on the field and whose defense at shortstop is already questionable and not going to get better.
The Dodgers have a fast-moving top shortstop prospect in their system named Corey Seager.
The Cubs soundly defeated the Cardinals on Monday night, 10-2, sending their magic number down to one. They will try to clinch the NL Central on Tuesday with another win against the Cardinals. Alternatively, if they lose, they can still clinch if the Brewers also lose on Tuesday.
The Cubs, of course, won the Central last year en route to winning their first World Series since 1908. It wasn’t nearly as easy this year as the club was below .500 entering June and was exactly at .500 entering July. A 16-8 July, 17-12 August, and 15-8 September have helped put the Cubs back in position to return to the postseason.
Not to be forgotten, the Cardinals were eliminated from NL Central contention with Monday’s loss. Now they have their sights set on the second NL Wild Card slot and currently trail the Rockies in that race.
The matchups for Tuesday’s action:
Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Padres pitcher Carter Capps will undergo surgery this offseason to address thoracic outlet syndrome, which doctors believe caused the right-hander’s blood clots. The Padres hope to have him ready by spring training next year.
Capps, 27, underwent Tommy John surgery last year and didn’t debut this season until August 7. He made 11 relief appearances, yielding nine runs on 12 hits and two walks with seven strikeouts in 12 1/3 innings. He went back on the DL on September 12 due to the blood clot issue.
The Padres acquired Capps from the Marlins last July in the Andrew Cashner trade which ended up having a lot of moving parts. Capps will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility this offseason. It’s quite possible the Padres choose to non-tender him.