Allen Craig could return from the disabled list in a week

Leave a comment

When outfielder Allen Craig jammed his left foot on the first base bag in his first game since being traded to the Red Sox, there was some speculation that he might be shut down for the remainder of the 2014 season. Craig suffered a left Lisfranc fracture in late 2013 and hasn’t been right since, so calling it quits and aiming for a fresh start in 2015 would make sense. But it doesn’t sound like that’s the plan.

According to beat writer Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, Craig “got positive news from foot specialist Dr. Robert Anderson on Friday and could come off the disabled list when eligible this month.”

The first day Craig is eligible to be activated is August 17 — next Sunday.

“We’re taking every step to ramp up his baseball activities and get him back on the field as soon as possible,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters this weekend in Anaheim. “The Lisfranc injury, that was still seen in the MRI that was done. But don’t feel that there were any chronic changes to what was viewed last year. Our approach is to get him playing and we’ll see if there’s adverse effect to more aggressive play.”

Craig was one of the most productive hitters in the National League from 2011-2013, batting .312/.364/.500 with 46 home runs and 229 RBI in 328 games for St. Louis. This year, he’s hit .237/.291/.348 in 98 games.

Report: Christian Yelich’s relationship with Marlins ‘irretrievably broken’

Rich Schultz/Getty Images
16 Comments

Joe Longo, the agent of Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich, said his client’s relationship with the Marlins is “irretrievably broken,” ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports. He believes in the best interest of both Yelich and the Marlins to work out a trade before the start of spring training.

Longo said,

They have a plan. I respect that plan, but that plan shouldn’t include Christian at this point in his career. He’s in the middle of the best years of his career, and having him be part of a 100-loss season is not really where [we] want to see him going.

The relationship between player and team is irretrievably broken. It’s soured. He’s part of the old ownership regime. The new ownership regime needs to get new parts into this plan and move forward, and he needs to get on with his career where he’s got a chance to win. The big issue is him winning and winning now.

He loves the city of Miami. He loves the fans. He’s had nothing but a good experience in South Florida, and he feels sorry where they ended up. But I think having him report [to spring training] and attempting to include him moving forward is going to be uncomfortable for both sides. I don’t see how it’s going to work.

This certainly comes as no surprise considering the offseason the Marlins have had after installing new ownership, going from Jeffrey Loria to Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter. The club traded All-Star outfielder Giancarlo Stanton, who hit 59 home runs last season, as well as Dee Gordon and Marcell Ozuna. As Crasnick notes, Yelich isn’t the only player to express disappointment with the Marlins’ current direction — J.T. Realmuto and Starlin Castro have as well.

Yelich, 26, signed a seven-year, $49.57 million contract extension with the Marlins in March of 2015. Given his career performance, that’s a bargain of a contract, which is why more than a handful of teams have inquired with the Marlins about him this offseason. Yelich finished the past season with a .282/.369/.439 triple-slash line along with 18 home runs, 81 RBI, 100 runs scored, and 16 stolen bases in 695 plate appearances.