The Dodgers have been doing something silly this year. Fun silly. The kind of silly that, if you’re not invested in the opposing team’s fortunes, probably makes you smile. They’ve had a little battery-powered bubble machine in the dugout and someone turns it on and they do little dances when they hit home runs.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports, however, that Major League Baseball has told the Dodgers to cut it out:
Before Tuesday’s game against the Angels at Dodger Stadium, Joe Torre, Major League Baseball executive vice president, advised the Dodgers to stop using the machine . . . The bubble machine was back Wednesday, at Angel Stadium . . . Did the Dodgers negotiate a compromise with MLB, or did they unilaterally decide to bring back the bubble machine?
No one is giving any comment about it, Shaikin says, so it’s unclear whether Joe Torre relented or whether the Dodgers are being bubble-blowing badboys.
I hope MLB relented here, because as far as home run celebrations go, this is pretty darn tame. It’s off-the-field for one thing. It’s not taunting anyone. In an age where fireworks go off, complicated handshakes and gestures are flashed and music is blared through the ballpark at ear-splitting levels every time a home team player hits a homer, I’m not sure what would possess anyone to target a child’s bubble machine.
This game is fun, people. Let’s have some fun out there.
The Braves reportedly have a deal in place with free agent catcher Kurt Suzuki, per Chris Cotillo of SB Nation. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal adds that the contract is for one year, $1.5 million with up to $2.5 million in additional incentives.
Suzuki, 33, completed a three-year track with the Twins in 2016, slashing .258/.301/.403 with eight home runs in 373 PA. The veteran backstop likely won’t provide an offensive or defensive upgrade over current starter Tyler Flowers, but should give the Braves some depth at a position they’ve been looking to strengthen since the start of the offseason.
The team has yet to confirm the deal.
With the 2017 World Baseball Classic around the corner, Team Israel has reportedly reached out to Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis, per MLB Network’s Jon Morosi. Tournament rules stipulate that a player’s roster eligibility can be achieved in one of several ways: they were born in the country in question or hold citizenship/permanent legal residence there (or are simply capable of qualifying for citizenship), or one of their parents was born in the country or holds citizenship/permanent legal residence there.
For Kipnis, it’s the latter. Kipnis’ father, Mark Kipnis, is Jewish. That gives Kipnis the status he needs to suit up for Team Israel, despite the fact that he is a practicing Roman Catholic. He has yet to confirm or deny his participation in the competition.
Fifteen players have confirmed for Team Israel so far, including Mets’ infielder/outfielder Ty Kelly and free agents Sam Fuld, Nate Freiman, Jason Marquis and Jeremy Bleich. Per MLB.com’s Chad Thornburg, eight minor leaguers will also appear for the team. Like Kipnis, at least three other major leaguers are eligible for Team Israel’s roster but have yet to accept or decline involvement in the WBC: Dodgers center fielder Joc Pederson, Mariners infielder/outfielder Danny Valencia and free agent left-hander Craig Breslow.