Last week the Cubs designated infielder Darwin Barney for assignment and now Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports that they’re close to trading him to the Dodgers.
Barney was the Cubs’ starting second baseman for three-and-a-half seasons, but with several high-upside prospects knocking on the door to the majors they decided sticking with a good-glove, no-hit player wasn’t worthwhile.
Barney is a career .244 hitter with a .625 OPS and he’s posted a sub-.300 on-base percentage in three straight seasons. He’s more suited to be a utility man than a starter at age 28.
UPDATE: Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that the Cubs will receive a player to be named later in exchange for Barney. It’s a done deal now.
Third baseman Anthony Rendon is reportedly open to a contract extension with the Nationals, Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post said Sunday. Rendon told reporters that he didn’t know if agent Scott Boras would discuss an extension with the club, contrary to previous reports confirming the two had already started that conversation.
Rendon, 27, is coming off of his best career year to date. He finished the 2017 season batting .301/.403/.533 with 25 home runs and 100 RBI through 605 plate appearances, good enough to earn him sixth place in NL MVP voting. He made his third postseason appearance after helping Nationals through the National League Division Series, and contributed a pair of extra-base hits before the team was eliminated by the Cubs in Game 5.
Rendon is still arbitration-eligible through 2019, but stands to receive a hefty payday once he enters free agency in 2020. While it stands to reason that the Nats would want to lock up a player who contributed a whopping 6.9 fWAR last year, making him the most valuable player on their roster, an extension appeals to Rendon as well. “Why not stay with one organization?” he said Sunday. The 2018 season will be his sixth with the team.