The Astros are a rebuilding team who is out of contention, so on the surface, they don’t have much need for a veteran closer. However, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he’s unlikely to move Chad Qualls before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
“I hesitate to use the word ‘untouchable,’ but he likes it here, he’s comfortable here and he’s pitching well,” general manager Jeff Luhnow said. “To have a guy who’s capable of pitching late in the game, in close games, we’re going to have opportunity going forward. This is a team that’s improving, and as the team improves, you have more save opportunities, more opportunities to pitch at the end of close games. We need more Chad Qualls. We don’t need less.”
Perhaps Luhnow is just posturing, but it’s easy to understand why he’s hesitant to deal him. Qualls is owed a little over $1 million for the rest of this season and $3 million in 2015 while his contract includes a $3.5 million club option for 2016 or a $250,000 buyout. The contract is an excellent value given the going rate of MLB closers, so the Astros would likely have to be overwhelmed to deal him.
Qualls has quietly enjoyed an excellent season with Houston, posting a 1.78 ERA and 31/4 K/BB ratio over 35 1/3 innings. He’s 11-for-13 in save chances.
Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.
This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.
Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”
This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.
Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:
“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”