Ian Kennedy was originally drafted by the Yankees in 2006 and made 14 appearances with the club before being dealt to the Diamondbacks in a three-team deal in December of 2009. Now the Yankees are reportedly considering a reunion with the right-hander as they attempt to bolster their starting rotation.
According to Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM, the Yankees and Padres are discussing a deal that would bring Kennedy back to New York and send prospects Eric Jagielo and Ian Clarkin to San Diego. For what it’s worth, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman confirms that the Yankees are interested in Kennedy, but not at the expense of both Jagielo and Clarkin. Both were first-round picks of the Bombers last June. That would be a pretty steep price.
Kennedy, 29, owns a 3.66 ERA and 143/42 K/BB ratio over 135 1/3 innings this season. Home runs ultimately did him in during his time in Arizona, which is something to consider with a possible return to the Bronx. He’s making $6.1 million this season and is under team control through 2015.
Bowden also reports that the Yankees have been in discussions with the Rockies about left-hander Jorge De La Rosa. Basically, if there’s a pitcher who is available, it’s safe to assume that Brian Cashman has called about them.
Angels first baseman Luis Valbuena will miss the next four to six weeks with a strained right hamstring, Pedro Moura of the Los Angeles Times reports.
Valbuena, 31, signed a two-year, $15 million contract with the Angels in January and was on track to get the lion’s share of the playing time at first base. While he’s out, however, C.J. Cron will handle first base on a regular basis. When Valbeuna returns, the two will likely form a platoon.
Last year with the Astros, Valbuena hit a solid .260/.357/.459 with 13 home runs and 40 RBI in 342 plate appearances.
Reds reliever Raisel Iglesias hasn’t appeared in a Grapefruit League game since March 14 and now we know why. He injured his right elbow and both hips falling in the shower three weeks ago, Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. He has had anti-inflammatory shots applied in both areas and he’ll be be shut down from pitching for a few more days.
Iglesias might not be ready for Opening Day, according to manager Bryan Price. Iglesias, however, thinks otherwise. He said, “I’m going to be OK. I’m probably going to throw one bullpen, and after that, mentally and physically, I’ll be ready to join the season and compete.”
Price said throughout the offseason that he intended to pick his closer according to the matchups rather than naming one official closer. As a result, this injury likely doesn’t change much except that Michael Lorenzen, Drew Storen, and Tony Cingrani may get a few more early season save chances if Iglesias doesn’t start the season on time.
Iglesias, 27, finished last season with a 2.53 ERA and an 83/26 K/BB ratio in 78 1/3 innings across five starts and 32 relief appearances.