Kurt Suzuki’s contract extension talks with the Twins didn’t get very far

5 Comments

After four terrible seasons Kurt Suzuki had to settle for a one-year, $2.75 million deal this offseason, but now he’s having a career-year for the Twins and made his first All-Star team at age 30.

Not surprisingly the Twins thought a contract extension was a topic worth broaching with Suzuki, but Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press says those talks didn’t go very far at all:

According to two people with direct knowledge, the Twins and Dan Lozano, Suzuki’s agent, had exploratory talks about extending the catcher’s expiring contract. Establishing fair contract parameters, however, appears to be a challenge as the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline approaches.

Armed with a combined on-base/slugging percentage of .753 — 62 points higher than his career rate — Suzuki must weigh the security of putting down roots in the Twin Cities after being traded in August the past two seasons. If Suzuki can maintain his offensive resurgence for another couple of months, he could cash in this winter on his second pass through the free-agent market.

This season Suzuki is hitting .305 with a .753 OPS in 82 games.

Last season Suzuki hit .232 with a .627 OPS in 94 games.

Combined during the previous four seasons Suzuki hit .237 with a .650 OPS in 477 games.

It’s definitely possible that Suzuki will cash in big as a free agent following the season, since decent-hitting catchers are forever tough to find and his defensive reputation has always been very good, but it’s also hard to blame the Twins for not wanting to break the bank on a 30-year-old having a career-year after looking washed up for 500 games.

And if extension talks continue to go nowhere, the Twins may look to shop Suzuki before July 31.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.