Jonathan Papelbon would accept a trade to a contender in a heartbeat

17 Comments

Some players on the Phillies are cagey about being willing to waive no-trade protection to go to another team. Jonathan Papelbon is a lot of things, but cagey is not one of them. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com asked him if he’d waive his limited no-trade clause to go to a contender. Papelbon’s response: hells yeah!

Papelbon was incredulous that a player would not want to move from a losing team to a contending team.

“What?” he said.

“Some guys want to stay on a losing team?” he said.

“That’s mind-boggling to me,” he said.

So if a contender called, you’re ready to go?

“Yeah,” Papelbon said with an are-you-kidding-me laugh. “I think that’s a no-brainer.”

He did note that he would have mixed feelings about it all as he likes his teammates and thinks (correctly) that the Phillies’ pen has really come together of late. But make no mistake, he wants to be in the playoffs and would gladly accept a trade to be there.

I think anyone in this situation is entitled to whatever thoughts they have on it. If Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley say they wouldn’t go or Papelbon says he would, well, those are their feelings. Notably, these conversations always come up when there aren’t actual trades on the table and the question put to the players is merely hypothetical. Lost in it all, usually, is that the players have earned the right to make this choice, either through longevity or negotiation, so we can’t really begrudge them for whatever their choices on the matter happen to be.

Zach Britton’s consecutive saves streak has ended at 60

Greg Fiume/Getty Images
Leave a comment

On September 20, 2015, Zach Britton blew a save against the Rays. Little did he know that he wouldn’t blow another save until August 23, 2017, converting 60 consecutive save opportunities.

Britton took the mound with a 7-5 lead in the top of the ninth inning of Wednesday afternoon’s game against the Athletics. He yielded a single to Jed Lowrie, a double to Boog Powell, an RBI single to Marcus Semien, and a sacrifice fly to Matt Joyce to allow the A’s to close the two-run deficit. In the next at-bat, he uncorked a wild pitch and then walked Khris Davis before being removed from the game. Miguel Castro relieved Britton, but walked Ryon Healy on four pitches to load the bases. Castro wriggled out of the jam by getting Matt Olson to pop up and striking out Matt Chapman, stranding two of Britton’s runners.

Britton entered Wednesday’s action 11-for-11 in save chances on the season with a 2.88 ERA and a 19/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. He missed two months earlier this season with a strained left forearm.

Noah Syndergaard’s bullpen session pushed back

Joe Skipper/Getty Images
Leave a comment

710 WOR’s Wayne Randazzo reports that Mets starter Noah Syndergaard‘s bullpen session has been pushed back a day or two. According to manager Terry Collins, it’s just a precaution. But, given the Mets’ history with injuries turning out to be much worse than expected, this is a bit concerning.

Syndergaard, 24, has been on the disabled list since the beginning of May with a partial tear of his right lat muscle. Prior to his April 30 start in which he suffered the lat injury, Syndergaard refused to undergo an MRI for his sore biceps.

In his five starts before the injury, Syndergaard gave up 14 runs (10 earned) on 28 hits and two walks with 32 strikeouts in 27 1/3 innings.