Pittsburgh Pirates v Philadelphia Phillies

Ruben Amaro: Changes to come for Phillies’ failing offense

19 Comments

MILWAUKEE — The Phillies entered the final leg of a three-city road trip Monday night with a 1-5 record in the first six games.

They have hit .170 in those games.

Overall, the team has lost nine of its last 10 games (hitting .204 in the process) to fall to 14 games under .500 and 12 games out in the NL East race.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has been with the Phillies on this trip. Before Monday night’s game, he said changes could be coming to this failing team.

“It’s disappointing, particularly the offense,” Amaro said. “What more can you say other than we’re not swinging the bats very well. I didn’t anticipate our guys being this poor. Because they are. They are this poor. We think that they’re better. But they haven’t shown it. So at some point we’re going to have to make some changes. Some guys, once they are ready to play, may be factors for us.”

Amaro indicated that Darin Ruf and Freddy Galvis, both recovering from injuries, could get playing time when they are healthy. Outfielder Grady Sizemore could also be coming in the next week or so.

“Any of those guys,” Amaro said. “Ruf, Freddy, Sizemore, whoever else in the organization may be factors for us. We have to get them healthy and see if it behooves us to make any of those changes.”

How about Maikel Franco?

“He’s swinging the bat well,” Amaro said. “Hey, listen, I’m looking for people who can swing the bat because we’re not doing it here. If he gets to the point where he starts swinging the bat consistently, he’s a guy who could be in play, too.”

Franco plays third base. Is there room for him and Cody Asche?

“Yeah,” Amaro said, “because he could play first base, too.”

Franco, 21, had two more hits for Triple A Lehigh Valley on Monday night. He is 11 for 23 with six RBIs in his last five games, but is hitting just .223 with six homers and 37 RBIs overall.

Sizemore has played eight games in Triple A since signing with the Phillies after his release from Boston. He is 10 for 37 in those games. He can opt out of his minor-league contract during the all-star break if he is not in the majors.

There’s a good chance he will be with the Phillies just before or after the all-star break.

“We’re considering it,” Amaro said. “He’s playing pretty good, moving pretty well. We have some time to make the decision on him, but everything so far has been positive.”

While Amaro talked only about potential changes that could come from within the organization, he continues to talk about trades with other clubs. He is willing to listen on any player. Trading some high-salaried players will be difficult, however. And the Phils have many of them.

The non-waiver trade deadline is July 31.

“There’s still interest in our guys,” Amaro said. “I think that we would be (active before the deadline). Again, being active and actually getting something done are two different things. We’ve been active already. We’ll be active, whether we’ll actually get it done or if there is something that can improve us, it depends on how our club is being evaluated.

“If we’re going to make changes, we make changes to get better. Everything we think about is thinking about how we can improve our club. Will we be better? That’s what you have to analyze.”

Diamondbacks, A.J. Pollock avoid arbitration with two-year contract

Arizona Diamondbacks center fielder A.J. Pollock drives in two runs against the Cincinnati Reds during the eighth inning of a baseball game, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2015, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Gary Landers)
AP Photo/Gary Landers
Leave a comment

Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks and outfielder A.J. Pollock have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year extension. The deal is worth $10.25 million, per ESPN’s Buster Olney.

Pollock was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. The 28-year-old requested $3.9 million and was offered $3.65 million by the Diamondbacks when figures were exchanged on January 15. It wasn’t much of a gap, but the two sides were ultimately able to find common ground on a multi-year deal. Pollock will still be under team control for one more year after this new deal expires.

Pollock is coming off a breakout 2015 where he batted .315/.367/.498 with 20 home runs, 76 RBI, and 39 stolen bases over 157 games. He ranked sixth among position players with 7.4 WAR (Wins Above Replacement), according to Baseball Reference.

Report: Blue Jays and Josh Donaldson agree to two-year, $29 million extension

Toronto Blue Jays' Josh Donaldson celebrates his two run home run against the Kansas City Royals during the third inning in Game 3 of baseball's American League Championship Series on Monday, Oct. 19, 2015, in Toronto. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)
AP Photo/Paul Sancya
4 Comments

The Blue Jays and 2015 American League Most Valuable Player Josh Donaldson have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year, $29 million contract, reports Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca.

Donaldson was arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter. He filed for $11.8 million and was offered $11.35 million by the Blue Jays when figures were exchanged last month. It wasn’t a big gap, but since the Blue Jays are a “file and trial” team, they bring these cases to an arbitration hearing unless a multi-year deal can be worked out. As opposed to last winter, they were able to avoid a hearing this time around. Donaldson was originally a Super Two player, so he’ll still have one year of arbitration-eligibility once this two-year deal is completed.

The 30-year-old Donaldson is coming off a monster first season in Toronto where he batted .297/.371/.568 with 41 homers while leading the American League with 123 RBI.

Giants and Brandon Belt have an arbitration hearing scheduled for Wednesday

San Francisco Giants'  Brandon Belt reacts after being called out on strikes by home plate umpire Jim Joyce to end the top of the first inning against the Colorado Rockies in a baseball game Friday, Sept.. 4, 2015, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)
AP Photo/David Zalubowski
2 Comments

Brandon Belt filed for $7.5 million and was offered $5.3 million by the Giants when arbitration figures were exchanged last month. That’s a pretty sizable gap. While there’s still a chance that an agreement will be worked out at the last minute, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that an arbitration hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.

The Giants haven’t gone to an arbitration hearing since 2004, when they lost to catcher A.J. Pierzynski. Schulman hears from one person involved that because of the gap between Belt and the Giants, there’s a real chance this will break that string and require a hearing.

Belt batted .280/.356/.478 with 18 home runs and 68 RBI over 137 games in 2015, but he dealt with concussion symptoms for the second straight season. An arbitration hearing could bring some unpleasant conversation to the surface.

Padres sign veteran utility player Skip Schumaker

Cincinnati Reds' Skip Schumaker is tagged out at home plate by San Francisco Giants' Buster Posey during the seventh inning of a baseball game Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015, in San Francisco. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)
AP Photo/Ben Margot
1 Comment

The Padres have inked veteran utility player Skip Schumaker to a minor league contract, per FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.

Schumaker, who turned 36 last week, has spent the last two seasons with the Reds. He batted .242/.306/.336 with one home run and 21 RBI over 131 games last season while making starts between all three outfield spots and second base. Cincinnati cut ties with him in November after declining a $2.5 million club option for 2016.

While Schumaker had to settle for a non-guaranteed deal here, it would be no surprise to see him land a bench job with the Padres come Opening Day.