Alex Rodriguez AP

Report: Lawyer to sue Alex Rodriguez over unpaid legal fees

32 Comments

Back in March reports circulated that Alex Rodriguez had some considerable unpaid legal fees. Which, as I noted at the time, is not terribly unusual in a large, expensive case. There is always negotiation and posturing after a representation — especially an unsuccessful representation — is wrapped up. It was not then worth the sort of reaction the story was getting from the Daily Newses of the World, who seized on the story to call A-Rod a deadbeat.

Flash forward a bit more than three months, however, and it appears that the negotiation and posturing hasn’t yet resulted in a settlement. The Daily News reports that one of A-Rod’s lawyers — David Cornwall — plans to sue A-Rod over the unpaid fees. The story says he plans to sue next week. We’ll see if he does.

Of course the Daily News is not content to merely report this news. It, through its I-Team Twitter feed, decided that this was a good basis to go after me personally for mocking their premature outrage back in March. It did so last night by searching for and retweeting that post I wrote back then, implicitly saying, “see, we were right!”

Personally, I love being vindicated and I am not above doing at least a little football-spiking when it turns out that, contrary to what a lot of people thought, I was right. I have an ego like anyone else and I don’t begrudge the Daily News I-Team having one too. However, this is a curious time for the Daily News to do this given that, with respect to this particular story, the passage of more than three months fundamentally changes it and does nothing to make my analysis from back in March incorrect.

Just because A-Rod is being sued now does not make their calling him a deadbeat back in March correct. Nor does it render my view at the time — that calling him a deadbeat was premature and that, at the time, there was nothing unusual about A-Rod not paying his fees yet — incorrect. Not paying his bill for more than three more months makes a pretty significant difference, actually. If you don’t believe me, pay your mortgage a week late one time. Then, a bit later, pay your mortgage three months late. See if you don’t get different reactions.

Basically, the Daily News I-Team, in its self-satisfied tweets last night, is basically saying, “See, when we said this stopped clock was telling the correct time earlier, we were right! Look at what the stopped clock says now!”

But hey, you don’t need me to tell you that the I-Team is wrong more often than it is right about such things:

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to change the lining on my bird cage. The piss has completely soaked through the ten layers of “A-Rod will never play for the Yankees again” and “The Yankees will void A-Rod’s contract” stories the Daily News wrote last year.

Report: Cubs have offered prospect Gleyber Torres to the Yankees for Aroldis Chapman

NEW YORK, NY - JULY 17:  Aroldis Chapman #54 of the New York Yankees delivers a pitch in the ninth inning against the Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium on July 17, 2016 in the Bronx borough of New York City.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Elsa/Getty Images
2 Comments

Rian Watt of Baseball Prospectus is hearing that a trade that would send Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs involves prospect Gleyber Torres and more going to the Yankees. He adds that the holdup in the trade talks is centered around a contract extension for Chapman, believed to be around four years in length and $60 million total. The deal may not be finalized if the Cubs don’t get him signed to an extension they like. In Watt’s words, “Package is set. Extension is not.”

We learned earlier on Sunday that the Yankees were working hard to trade Chapman, reportedly in contact with at least four teams. The Cubs were not believed to be the front runners but certainly upped the ante by offering Torres.

Torres, 19, is rated the Cubs’ #1 prospect and #24 overall in baseball by MLB Pipeline. The shortstop has spent the season with Single-A Myrtle Beach, batting .275/.359/.433 with nine home runs, 47 RBI, 62 runs scored, and 19 stolen bases in 409 plate appearances.

Torres is currently roadblocked at shortstop by Addison Russell, and 21-year-old Ian Happ is rated #3 in the Cubs’ system, so the club would be dealing from surplus.

Blue Jays designate Drew Storen for assignment

TORONTO, CANADA - MAY 29: Drew Storen #45 of the Toronto Blue Jays delivers a pitch in the eleventh inning during MLB game action against the Boston Red Sox on May 29, 2016 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)
Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images
1 Comment

Prior to Sunday afternoon’s game against the Mariners, the Blue Jays designated reliever Drew Storen for assignment and recalled reliever Ryan Tepera from Triple-A Buffalo.

Storen, 28, had a nightmare of a time with the Jays, leaving with a 6.21 ERA and a 32/10 K/BB ratio over 33 1/3 innings. The Jays acquired him in January from the Nationals in exchange for outfielder Ben Revere and a player to be named later.

Storen is owed the remainder of his $8.375 million salary, which makes it likelier that the right-hander will pass through waivers unclaimed. He’ll be eligible for free agency after the season.