Alex Rodriguez AP

Report: Lawyer to sue Alex Rodriguez over unpaid legal fees

32 Comments

Back in March reports circulated that Alex Rodriguez had some considerable unpaid legal fees. Which, as I noted at the time, is not terribly unusual in a large, expensive case. There is always negotiation and posturing after a representation — especially an unsuccessful representation — is wrapped up. It was not then worth the sort of reaction the story was getting from the Daily Newses of the World, who seized on the story to call A-Rod a deadbeat.

Flash forward a bit more than three months, however, and it appears that the negotiation and posturing hasn’t yet resulted in a settlement. The Daily News reports that one of A-Rod’s lawyers — David Cornwall — plans to sue A-Rod over the unpaid fees. The story says he plans to sue next week. We’ll see if he does.

Of course the Daily News is not content to merely report this news. It, through its I-Team Twitter feed, decided that this was a good basis to go after me personally for mocking their premature outrage back in March. It did so last night by searching for and retweeting that post I wrote back then, implicitly saying, “see, we were right!”

Personally, I love being vindicated and I am not above doing at least a little football-spiking when it turns out that, contrary to what a lot of people thought, I was right. I have an ego like anyone else and I don’t begrudge the Daily News I-Team having one too. However, this is a curious time for the Daily News to do this given that, with respect to this particular story, the passage of more than three months fundamentally changes it and does nothing to make my analysis from back in March incorrect.

Just because A-Rod is being sued now does not make their calling him a deadbeat back in March correct. Nor does it render my view at the time — that calling him a deadbeat was premature and that, at the time, there was nothing unusual about A-Rod not paying his fees yet — incorrect. Not paying his bill for more than three more months makes a pretty significant difference, actually. If you don’t believe me, pay your mortgage a week late one time. Then, a bit later, pay your mortgage three months late. See if you don’t get different reactions.

Basically, the Daily News I-Team, in its self-satisfied tweets last night, is basically saying, “See, when we said this stopped clock was telling the correct time earlier, we were right! Look at what the stopped clock says now!”

But hey, you don’t need me to tell you that the I-Team is wrong more often than it is right about such things:

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to change the lining on my bird cage. The piss has completely soaked through the ten layers of “A-Rod will never play for the Yankees again” and “The Yankees will void A-Rod’s contract” stories the Daily News wrote last year.

Joe Panik says he’s “100 percent” recovered from back injury

San Francisco Giants second baseman Joe Panik follows through on a single off Colorado Rockies relief pitcher Scott Oberg in the eighth inning of Game 1 of a baseball doubleheader Saturday, May 23, 2015, in Denver. The Giants won 10-8. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)
AP Photo/David Zalubowski
Leave a comment

Giants second baseman Joe Panik missed nearly all of August and September last season due to a nagging back injury, but he told Alex Pavlovic of CSNBayArea.com on Friday that he’s feeling “100 percent.”

Panik, who earned his first All-Star selection last season, originally landed on the disabled list in early August due to what was described as lower back inflammation. He made his return in September, but appeared in just three games before being shut down. The good news is that he was cleared by doctors in mid-December and considers himself “back to normal.”

“It was right around the time of all the signings,” he said, smiling. “I was able to fly under the radar. I got tested and everything had healed up. I got cleared and was able to have my full offseason workouts. I’m good to go. I’m happy to be feeling good and going back out on the field to show that I’m healthy. My swing feels strong.”

Panik altered his offseason workout routine and plans to spend less time in his spikes in the early part of spring training. The hope is that these changes will prevent future issues.

After a strong showing as a rookie in 2014, the 25-year-old Panik proved to be one of the best second baseman in the majors last season by batting .312/.378/.455 with eight home runs and 37 RBI over 100 games while playing solid defense.

Baseball America names Corey Seager as baseball’s top prospect

Los Angeles Dodgers' Corey Seager follows through a single that scored Austin Barnes, in front of Colorado Rockies' Wilin Rosario during the sixth inning of a baseball game, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2015, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Danny Moloshok)
AP Photo/Danny Moloshok
4 Comments

Baseball America unveiled their top 100 prospect list Friday night during a special on MLB Network. It should come as no surprise that Dodgers infielder Corey Seager came in at No. 1.

This makes Seager the consensus top prospect in the game. He was also ranked first by MLB.com, Baseball Prospectus, and ESPN’s Keith Law. Twins outfielder Byron Buxton was ranked second on all four lists.

Baseball America has the most aggressive ranking of Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada from the Red Sox, who checked in at No. 3. He was followed by pitching prospects Lucas Giolito from the Nationals and Julio Urias from the Dodgers to round out the top five.

You can see Baseball America’s full top 100 list here.

Jenrry Mejia: “It is not like they say. I am sure that I did not use anything.”

New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia reacts after getting the last out against the Milwaukee Brewers during the ninth inning of a baseball game Friday, July 25, 2014, in Milwaukee. The Mets won 3-2. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps)
AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps
6 Comments

Mets reliever Jenrry Mejia was permanently suspended on Friday after testing positive for a third time for a performance-enhancing drug. The right-hander is maintaining his innocence, as ESPN’s Adam Rubin notes in quoting Dominican sports journalist Hector Gomez. Mejia said, “It is not like they say. I am sure that I did not use anything.”

Mejia has the opportunity to petition commissioner Rob Manfred in one year for reinstatement to Major League Baseball. However, he must sit out at least two years before becoming eligible to pitch in the majors again, which would mean Mejia would be 28 years old.

Over parts of five seasons, Mejia has a career 3.68 ERA with 162 strikeouts and 76 walks over 183 1/3 innings. He was once a top prospect in the Mets’ minor league system and a top-100 overall prospect heading into the 2010 and ’11 seasons.

Bryce Harper on potential $400 million contract: “Don’t sell me short.”

Bryce Harper
AP Photo/Nick Wass
19 Comments

Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper is at least three years away from free agency, but people are already contemplating just how large a contract the phenom will be able to negotiate, especially after taking home the National League Most Valuable Player Award for his performance this past season.

When the likes of David Price and Zack Greinke are signing for over $200 million at the age of 30 or older, it stands to reason that Harper could draw more as a 26-year-old if he can maintain MVP-esque levels of production over the next several seasons. $400 million might not be enough for Harper, though, as MLB.com’s Jamal Collier reports. He said, “Don’t sell me short,” which is a fantastic response.

During the 2015 season, Harper led the majors with a .460 on-base percentage and a .649 slugging percentage while leading the National League with 42 home runs and 118 runs scored. He also knocked in 99 runs for good measure. Harper and Ted Williams are the only hitters in baseball history to put up an adjusted OPS of 195 or better (100 is average) at the age of 22 or younger.