Once again, the Marlins are telling Giancarlo Stanton he won’t be traded

16 Comments

One of the more interesting tidbits within the Astros’ leaked internal communications earlier this week was an potential trade for Marlins superstar Giancarlo Stanton, which means the Marlins are yet again trying to convince the baseball world and Stanton that he’s not going to be traded.

Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports that Marlins president of baseball operations Mike Hill called Stanton personally to assure him there were no trade talks ongoing currently and then Hill told reporters the following:

I told you guys in the beginning of the winter that he’s not available–and we’re not shopping him. I would expect clubs to call on a good player. He’s a good player and I think that’s the point we want to make sure gets out. I’ve spoken to him and told him exactly that. So there’s no miscommunication and no misinterpretation on anybody’s part. We haven’t shopped him. He’s not available. We want that to be crystal clear.

We talk to our counterparts all the time. They like some of our players and we like some of their players. That doesn’t mean any of them are available. In that situation, it’s unfortunate they got hacked and it’s unfortunate that information got out there. But we just wanted to set the record straight he is not available. We didn’t go around calling and shopping him. It’s a non-story on our end.

All of which sounds perfectly fair and reasonable, except Miami’s history with trading away star talent makes it a story whether Hill likes it or not.

Report: Twins sign Erick Aybar to minor-league deal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Twins have reportedly signed free agent shortstop Erick Aybar to a minor-league deal, LaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune reported Friday. FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman adds that the deal comes with a potential $1.25 million if Aybar reaches the majors, with additional incentives based on plate appearances. He’ll be able to opt out on March 27. The team has yet to confirm the signing.

Aybar, 34, is now four years removed from his career year in 2014. He’s been in a state of steady decline since then, slashing just .234/.300/.348 with seven home runs and 11 stolen bases over 370 plate appearances for the Padres in 2017. His poor performance wasn’t helped by a fractured left foot, either, which cost him almost six weeks on the disabled list.

Still, the Twins see something promising in the veteran infielder, and reportedly intend to use him as another utility option this spring. Per Neal, Aybar will join fellow backup infielders Eduardo Escobar and Ehire Adrianza and may even (temporarily) take over for Miguel Sano at third base if Sano isn’t able to shape up for the role by Opening Day.