Astros top prospect and former No. 1 overall pick Carlos Correa injured his ankle over the weekend and today general manager Jeff Luhnow told Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle that the Single-A shortstop is expected to “miss a significant period of time.”
He suffered the injury while sliding into third base on a triple Saturday and had to be carted off the field. There’s no official announcement yet on the injury because the team is waiting for Correa to be examined further by an ankle specialist.
It’s a shame, because Correa has been fantastic this season, hitting .325 with power and speed while being one of the youngest players in the California League at age 19, and Ortiz writes that he appeared to be on the verge of a promotion to Double-A.
At times the Astros have been criticized for passing on Byron Buxton to select Correa first overall in the 2012, but Buxton has yet to play in the Twins organization this season due to a spring training wrist injury and Correa has emerged as a consensus top-10 prospect himself this year.
The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.
Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.
Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.
MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”
As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.
Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”