Randy Wolf has yet a new home. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have signed the left-hander to a minor league deal and assigned him to Triple-A Norfolk. He’ll make his first start with his new club on Tuesday against Pawtucket. The Orioles outrighted Edgmer Escalona off of the 40-man roster to make room for Wolf.
Wolf has been well-traveled in 2014 as he attempts to prolong his major league career. He spent the spring with the Mariners, but they released him on March 25. The Diamondbacks signed him to a minor league deal on April 11, but they released him about a month later after he posted a 4.50 ERA in 34 innings across six starts with Triple-A Reno. The Marlins signed him on May 14 and had him make his 2014 debut — his first appearance in the major leagues since September 2012 — on the same day. In four starts and two relief appearances for the Marlins, Wolf posted a 5.26 ERA with a 19/6 K/BB ratio in 25 2/3 innings. The Marlins designated Wolf for assignment on Monday, and he elected free agency on Wednesday.
The 37-year-old lefty is a veteran of 15 seasons in the big leagues. Over 2,293 2/3 career innings, Wolf has a 4.21 ERA with a 133-120 record.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.