Ricky Romero’s latest setback is season-ending leg surgery

5 Comments

Quadriceps surgery can now be added to the list of things that have contributed to derailing Ricky Romero’s once-promising career.

Romero has been a mess since 2011–when he made the All-Star team as a 26-year-old–posting a 5.77 ERA with a league-high 105 walks in 2012 and then spending most of last season at Triple-A. He’s back at Triple-A again this year and walked 42 batters in 38 innings, but Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Romero is now expected to miss the remainder of the season following surgery to have “inflammation cleaned out in his quadriceps tendon.”

Romero is making $7.5 million this season and is still owed another $7.5 million next season as part of a $30 million contract extension inked prior to 2011. It seems weird to say about a 29-year-old just three seasons removed from being an All-Star, but the odds are probably stacked against Romero throwing another pitch in the majors at this point.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.