Jedd Gyorko’s recovery from plantar fasciitis has hit a snag

6 Comments

Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko was able to shed the cast and walking boot from his right foot on Wednesday, but his rehab from plantar fasciitis took another frustrating turn today.

According to Corey Brock and Will Laws of MLB.com, Gyorko had to put the put the cast and walking boot right back on today after tests showed that he hasn’t made enough improvement. His status hangs in limbo as a result.

“It’s similar to the first time. We’re planning on waiting a week and then we’ll look at it again,” Gyorko said. “Until then, we’re in a waiting pattern again.”

The Padres placed the second baseman on the disabled list on June 6, retroactive to June 4. In terms of calling this a setback, Gyorko wasn’t so sure — mostly because there’s no timetable, even a provisional one, that he or the Padres medical staff are using as a guide.

Gyorko showed some promise as a rookie last season by amassing 23 home runs in 125 games, but he was hitting just .162 with five homers and a .482 OPS through 56 games this season prior to landing on the disabled list earlier this month. The 25-year-old signed a six-year, $35 million extension with the Padres in April.

There is, indeed, an MLB-to-Portland group

Associated Press
1 Comment

On Monday, Baseball America reported that MLB is prepared to expand to Portland and Montreal. We talked about that at length yesterday. One of the most common responses to that piece has been “Portland? Really?”

There’s good reason for that response. Baseball-to-Portland has been talked about for years, but there has never been any real traction. Past initiatives have failed, significant public funding for a stadium seems to be a political impossibility and, heck, Portland wasn’t even interested in keeping its Triple-A team, turning its stadium into a much more successful soccer venue and not missing the Beavers all that much.

It would seem, however, that the reports are not mere speculation and there is a genuine baseball-to-Portland initiative afoot once again. From the Oregonian:

On Tuesday, former Trail Blazers broadcaster Mike Barrett confirmed to The Oregonian/OregonLive that he is part of the Portland group.

“I am officially involved with a campaign to bring Major League Baseball and a stadium development to Portland,” Barrett said. “There is also a formally organized, sophisticated and seasoned management group running this initiative. We will keep you fully apprised of any/all developments as this project progresses.”

One guy — a broadcaster no less — saying he’s part of a group is not exactly a major needle-mover, of course. But it does contrast with past Portland initiatives that have been well-publicized grassroots affairs. While those may have been more broad-based and while their public nature may have provided some refreshing transparency, the simple fact of professional sports ownership in the 21st century is that well-monied groups who play things close to the vest are more likely to make waves. We’re in an age when technocratic hedge fund-type guys make things happen in this arena, not in an age when flamboyant public personalities do.

None of which is to say that baseball in Portland is a lock or that expansion anywhere is a short term proposition. It’s just to note that, yeah, there is a bit more going on, it seems, than just pointing at a map and saying “yeah, a team would make sense here.”