Deranged Dodgers fan gets arrested after defying his ban from Great American Ballpark

33 Comments

So there’s this 40 year-old guy from West Virginia who loves the Dodgers and goes after anyone who dares criticize Yasiel Puig. He showed up at Great American Ballpark during the Dodgers-Reds series and got arrested.

No, it is not me.

Rather, it’s Tony Sexton, who a few years ago got banned from Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati after being obnoxious and drunk. He showed up to the Dodgers-Reds game on Tuesday night, however, and was arrested again for trespassing. I love the way he’s described in the story:

Sexton is known online among Dodger fans as ”Troy From West Virginia” for video postings about the team and its players, including his admiration for former Dodger relief pitcher Joe Beimel and coarse retorts to critics of young Dodger star Yasiel Puig.

One would think the “admiration for Joe Beimel” thing would get one placed on some sort of psych watch list alone, but apparently it takes a trespassing charge to do it.

Report: Mets expect Terry Collins to retire at the end of the season

Al Bello/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Mets expect manager Terry Collins to retire at the end of the season, sources tell Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News. Collins and the Mets haven’t discussed an extension on his current contract, which expires at season’s end.

Collins, 67, has managed the Mets for the last seven seasons. Overall, he led them to a 546-578 record during the regular season and the team twice made the playoffs. The Mets lost the 2015 World Series to the Royals in five games, and lost the 2016 NL Wild Card Game to the Giants.

Injuries are much more to blame for the Mets’ struggles in 2017. After another loss on Wednesday, the Mets fell to 65-87. They will open the final homestand of the season on Friday with three games against the Nationals and four against the Braves. They could be Collins’ last in New York as manager of the Mets.

Reds to extend protective netting at Great American Ball Park

3 Comments

The Reds announced on Thursday that the protective netting at Great American Ball Park will be extended to the end of each dugout in time for Opening Day next season. The press release notes that the current netting meets Major League Baseball’s guidelines and the new netting will go beyond those standards.

The netting “debate” came back on Wednesday when a young fan was struck in the face by a foul ball at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees have done about the bare minimum in installing protective netting, which rightly earned them criticism. Brian Dozier, Todd Frazier, and Didi Gregorius each said yesterday that the netting should be extended. Other teams and Major League Baseball in general received criticism. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, for example, said the relative lack of action on MLB’s part is “morally repugnant.”

Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that the Reds had already had this idea prior to Wednesday’s incident at Yankee Stadium.