gregory polanco getty

Pirates deny reports that top prospect Gregory Polanco will be joining the MLB roster on Friday

11 Comments

UPDATE, 7:21 p.m. ET: A “high-ranking” Pirates official told beat writer Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that there are currently no plans to call up Polanco on Friday. This just took an odd turn.

*****************

As first reported on Wednesday afternoon by Tim Williams of PiratesProspects.com and then later confirmed by FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Pirates will call up top outfield prospect Gregory Polanco before their series-opener Friday night at home against the NL Central-leading Brewers.

Polanco, rated a Top 10 prospect this winter by Baseball America, has hit .351/.410/.547 with six home runs, 47 RBI, and 14 stolen bases in 57 games this season at Triple-A Indianapolis. He should provide an immediate boost to a Pirates offense that currently ranks 22nd in the majors in runs scored.

Pittsburgh opens play Wednesday evening with a 28-30 record and -22 run differential.

The only reason Polanco isn’t already in the bigs was threat that he might achieve Super Two status. His callup Friday means that he will finish the 2014 season with 115 days of service time. The projected cutoff for Super Two status — according to Williams’ report at PiratesProspects.com — is two years and 128 days.

MORE FROM HBT: Top prospect Gregory Polanco rejects seven-year contract from Pirates

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
4 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
7 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.