Nelson Cruz back in Orioles’ lineup after HBP scare

Leave a comment

You could hear the collective shriek from Orioles fans on Sunday when Nelson Cruz was struck on the left hand by a Scott Feldman fastball. But all is well.

Cruz is in the Orioles’ starting lineup for Tuesday night’s series-opener against the Rangers — his first time back in Arlington, Texas since signing a one-year, $8 million free agent deal with Baltimore this past winter. Cruz will bat third and start in left field.

The 33-year-old slugger is batting .314/.384/.672 with 20 home runs and 52 RBI in 54 games this season for his new team.

That’s a 59-homer and 153-RBI pace. Not bad value at $8 million.

Mets, Orioles have discussed a Matt Harvey trade

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Orioles and Mets have discussed a trade for Matt Harvey.

Rosenthal says the discussions have involved a reliever going back to New York and observes that that Harvey and Brad Brach are projected for similar salaries in their final arbitration years which could make a financial match.

There have been a handful of Harvey rumors over the past couple of days, with a report coming out yesterday that the Mets have spoken with at least two teams about their fallen ace. Jon Heyman said today that the Rangers may have been one of those teams. Maybe the Orioles are the second or, perhaps, the third?

All if this has to be pretty deflating if you’re a Mets fan, given the promise and dominance Harvey showed before injuries waylaid him the past two seasons. Harvey is still just 28 but he made only 18 starts and one relief appearance last year, posting a 6.70 ERA with a 67/47 K/BB ratio in 92.2 innings.

If the Mets can’t find a trade partner this winter, they’ll clearly hope for him to rebound at least a little bit in 2018, allowing him to regain some trade value.