Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg said he got food poisoning from the awesome burgers at Shake Shack a couple of weeks ago. But he apparently had no problem consuming food not meant for human consumption when he was a kid.
Sandberg appears in funny videos that play between innings at Citizens Bank Park. One of the videos features Sandberg and some Phillies players admitting the strangest things they’ve ever eaten. Sandberg’s admission, per MLB.com Cut4 : he ate Friskies cat food:
“I did that as a youngster, maybe four or five-years-old, maybe six-years-old. I don’t know. I guess I was hungry. I still remember the crunchiness of it was the biggest thing. This wasn’t a one time thing either. This went on for about a year as a little snack.”
That was brave. I thought I was being bold for admitting eating at Arby’s that time, but this is next level stuff.
Awful news for the White Sox and reliever Danny Farquhar: the right-hander remains hospitalized with a brain hemorrhage, per a team announcement on Saturday. He’s in stable but critical condition after sustaining a “ruptured aneurysm [that] caused the brain bleed” on Friday.
Farquhar, 31, passed out in the dugout during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Astros. He regained consciousness shortly after the incident and was taken to RUSH University Medical Center, where he’s expected to continue treatment with Dr. Demetrius Lopez in the neurological ICU unit.
“It takes your breath away a little bit,” club manager Rick Renteria said following the game. “One of your guys is down there and you have no idea what’s going on. […] When one of your teammates or anybody you know has an episode, even if it’s not a teammate, something is going on, you realize everything else you keep in perspective. Everything has its place. It’s one of our guys, so we are glad he was conscious when he left here.”