Shane Victorino Getty

Red Sox place Shane Victorino on disabled list, recall Daniel Nava from Triple-A

8 Comments

UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox placed Victorino on the disabled list and recalled Daniel Nava from Triple-A Pawtucket.

11:01 a.m. ET: Because an eight-game losing streak isn’t bad enough, here’s this. According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, Shane Victorino left last night’s game against the Rays after he tweaked his right hamstring on bunt attempt in the ninth inning.

Victorino missed the first three weeks of the season due to a right hamstring strain, so this isn’t a good sign. Red Sox manager John Farrell said after the game that this injury isn’t doesn’t appear to be as serious, but more should be known later today.

“Preliminary, or at least the first exam, doesn’t appear to be as severe as spring training,’’ Farrell said. “But we’ll get a better read on it once a full workup is done when he gets to the park (today).”

Victorino has struggled so far this season, batting just .242 with one home run and a .276 on-base percentage through 21 games. Boston’s outfield is batting just .220/.296/.337 as a unit this season. Only the Twins have a lower OPS from their outfield.

Adrian Beltre puts his helmet on backwards to face a switch pitcher

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 12.27.56 PM
1 Comment

“A” switch pitcher is probably not the most accurate way to put that. It’s more like “The” switch pitcher, as Pat Venditte of the Mariners is the only one extant.

Last night the right-handed hitting Adrian Beltre had to face Venditte, who obviously chose to pitch righty to the Rangers third baseman. Before coming up to the plate, Beltre jokingly donned his helmet backwards and pretended that he’d hit left-handed:

 

He needn’t have bothered. Beltre doubled to left field off of Venditte, showing that at some point, platoon splits really don’t matter.

MLB, MLBPA donate $250,000 for Louisiana flood relief

BATON ROUGE, LA - AUGUST 15:  Richard Schafer navigates a boat past a flooded home on August 15, 2016 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Record-breaking rains pelted Louisiana over the weekend leaving the city with historic levels of flooding that have caused at least seven deaths and damaged thousands of homes.  (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
6 Comments

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association announced this morning that they are contributing $250,000 to assist victims of the devastating floods that recently hit Louisiana.

The $250,000 contribution is being divided among three charitable organizations: The American Red Cross will receive a $125,000 contribution and two charities connected to Major League Players – the Baton Rouge Area Foundation and High Socks for Hope – will each receive a $62,500 contribution.

According to the joint press release, several players with connections to the area, including Reid Brignac, Will Harris, Wade LeBlanc, Mikie Mahtook, Anthony Ranaudo and Ryan Schimpf were consulted in determining which organizations would receive funding support.

Nice move, union and league.