Scott Boras still says Stephen Drew had multi-year offers

39 Comments

Stephen Drew re-signed with the Red Sox yesterday, waiting until May 21 to do so and accepting a prorated share of the $14.1 million qualifying offer he turned down at the beginning of the offseason. And yet his agent, Scott Boras, continues to claim that Drew turned down multi-year contract offers from other teams in order to return to Boston.

Here’s what Boras said on MLB Network Radio:

The quest, knowing that Stephen had set forth a path to achieve the dynamic of being an unrestricted free agent the idea was to put himself in a position where the team, and within an environment we knew he could be successful. It turned out we did get multi-year offers as the season opened up but it was Stephen’€™s decision to take a one-year deal and return to the Red Sox and have a chance to compete for another championship.

I suppose it’s possible that at some point in the offseason Drew had multi-year contract offers, but does anyone really believe by the time he decided to return to the Red Sox any of those offers were even distant memories, let alone still on the table? Drew and Boras misjudged the shortstop’s market and he ended up taking less money to return to his old team after having to sit out nearly one-third of the season. Anything else seems like merely a mediocre spin attempt.

Miguel Sano gained weight this offseason

Getty Images
1 Comment

Not all players coming in to spring training are in The Best Shapes of Their Lives. Some have put on a few pounds, such as Miguel Sano, notes Twins GM Thad Levine:

Sano has been given medical clearance to engage in all baseball workouts with his teammates, his surgically reinforced left shin now completely healed, though the Twins intend to lighten his schedule to prevent any new injuries.

They’d like to lighten something else, too: His “generous carriage,” as General Manager Thad Levine delicately put it last week. Sano’s conditioning understandably lags, after a winter largely spent incapacitated by the surgery.

Sano’s conditioning has often been a topic of conversation among the members of the Minnesota press corps, though not always in good faith. For example, last year when Sano injured his shin by fouling a ball off of it, one member of the The Fourth Estate found a way to make a column out of blaming the freak injury on Sano’s conditioning. At least in this instance his colleague is correctly noting that the poor conditioning is a result of the injury and not the cause.

Still, it’s just another issue facing Sano this spring. He’s out of shape, coming off of an injury, and — not that he’s due any sympathy for it — he’s facing a likely suspension arising out of the allegations of sexual assault leveled against him late last year.

So this spring we’ll be seeing more of Sano, it seems. At least until that time we’ll be seeing less of him.