J.P. Arencibia: “I was the villain” of the Blue Jays

11 Comments

The Rangers are matching up with the Blue Jays for the first time this season, which means catcher J.P. Arencibia gets the chance to face his former team. The Jays non-tendered Arencibia last December, and shortly thereafter Arencibia signed a one-year, $1.8 million deal with the Rangers. Despite hitting 64 home runs between 2010-13 in Toronto, Arencibia received criticism for his low batting average (.212) and on-base percentage (.258). The average ranked as the third-worst in that time span among qualified hitters while the on-base percentage was dead last.

The two teams opened up the series on Friday night, and there was radio silence between Arencibia and the Toronto media. But he broke it on Saturday to accuse Toronto writers of portraying him as the team’s villain. Via Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star:

“I learned the media controls a lot of things and the only question that you guys were writing in the off-season was what they were going to do behind the plate, when obviously the pitching was something that needed to be addressed,” he told the Star after taking batting practice. “But I was the only question because I was the villain of the team.”

[…]

“I think the media made me out to be a monster — I wasn’t. They changed a lot of things that I said or made up stories. So I thought that that was a big thing that went down. I learned how much media does control things.”

Arencibia also added that he is very much enjoying his time with the Rangers, citing a different and more fun culture. However, he is slashing a meager .133/.182/.233 in 66 plate appearances. His poor performance with the Rangers isn’t as likely to draw as much criticism because he doesn’t have a history with the team. Arencibia was taken in the first round, 21st overall, in the 2007 draft. He crushed minor league pitching, bashing 80 home runs between 2008-10, giving fans the hope that he would be the club’s catcher of the future. Alas, it was not meant to be.

At any rate, it sounds like Arencibia has a bit of a persecution complex.

Jose Altuve, Teoscar Hernandez leave game after collision

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Astros second baseman Jose Altuve and outfielder Teoscar Hernandez collided attempting to catch a shallow fly ball hit by Indians catcher Yan Gomes in the bottom of the eighth inning during Tuesday night’s game.

Hernandez, who was called up earlier on Tuesday, had just come into the game as a defensive replacement for Carlos Beltran. George Springer entered the game in right field in Hernandez’s place after Hernandez was carted off the field. Altuve was replaced at second base by Marwin Gonzalez.

The Astros should have updates on the conditions of both players after the game. Losing Altuve would be a big deal for the first-place Astros, as he entered the game batting .324/.393/.459 with seven stolen bases.

Dodgers promote top prospect Cody Bellinger

Rob Tringali/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports that the Dodgers have promoted 1B/OF prospect Cody Bellinger.

Bellinger, 21, is considered the Dodgers’ best prospect and No. 10 overall in baseball, according to MLB Pipeline. At Triple-A Oklahoma City, Bellinger was hitting .343/.429/.627 with five home runs, 15 RBI, 15 runs scored, and seven stolen bases in 77 plate appearances.

The Dodgers are dealing with a slew of injuries to their outfielders — most recently losing Joc Pederson to a strained groin — so Bellinger is likely to get regular playing time there.