Yankees outfielder Carlos Beltran is headed to the disabled list with a bone spur in his right elbow.
Beltran hyperextended his elbow while taking swings during Monday’s game and an MRI exam revealed the bone spur. He took a cortisone shot in an effort to avoid the disabled list, but the Yankees ultimately decided to shut down the 37-year-old.
Beltran was off to a slow start in the first season of a three-year, $45 million contract, hitting just .234 with five homers and a .715 OPS in 33 games. He’s said that surgery may be needed eventually, but he’ll try to hold off on that until the offseason.
Ichiro Suzuki figures to pick up the most playing in Beltran’s absence, assuming of course that the 40-year-old Ichiro can avoid more issues with his sore back and knee. It’s hard out there for old outfielders in New York.
Third baseman Anthony Rendon is reportedly open to a contract extension with the Nationals, Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post said Sunday. Rendon told reporters that he didn’t know if agent Scott Boras would discuss an extension with the club, contrary to previous reports confirming the two had already started that conversation.
Rendon, 27, is coming off of his best career year to date. He finished the 2017 season batting .301/.403/.533 with 25 home runs and 100 RBI through 605 plate appearances, good enough to earn him sixth place in NL MVP voting. He made his third postseason appearance after helping Nationals through the National League Division Series, and contributed a pair of extra-base hits before the team was eliminated by the Cubs in Game 5.
Rendon is still arbitration-eligible through 2019, but stands to receive a hefty payday once he enters free agency in 2020. While it stands to reason that the Nats would want to lock up a player who contributed a whopping 6.9 fWAR last year, making him the most valuable player on their roster, an extension appeals to Rendon as well. “Why not stay with one organization?” he said Sunday. The 2018 season will be his sixth with the team.