Bud Selig is not at all worried about the Mets’ finances

18 Comments

The story from earlier in the week that Saul Katz wants to sell his share of the Mets — which he adamantly denied the same day — was based on the premise that the Mets are losing money and Katz is tired of subsidizing the team. That’s what the New York Times said anyway.

Bud Selig says he’s heard nothing about Katz wanting to sell and cited the denial, but he went a step further and said that there was no truth to the assumption that the Mets are losing money:

I’ve said this repetitively — I have no concerns about the Mets. I have no reason to have any concerns. Why should I have? That’s the whole point . . . I’m very optimistic about what they’re doing. The only people telling me to have concerns are people who don’t know and haven’t seen any facts . . . I don’t understand these stories because I have all the economic facts — nothing to support (the team is hemorrhaging money). Major League Baseball has all the economic information. This idea that I should have reason to be concerned is just wrong.”

I suppose that’s good news. But it’s also frustrating for Mets fans who look at the bullpen they’re stuck with and assume it’s that way because the team is broke. Now what? It’s that way because the team just doesn’t want a good bullpen?

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.

Dave Roberts: It “doesn’t make sense” for Scott Kazmir to start year in Dodgers’ rotation

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Scott Kazmir won’t begin the regular season in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Manager Dave Roberts said after Kazmir’s Cactus League outing on Sunday that it “doesn’t make sense” for the ailing Kazmir to break camp in the rotation, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. The lefty will instead rehab some more and join the rotation at a later time.

Kazmir has been battling a hip issue which has caused his mechanics to suffer. He was clocked in the low 80’s 10 days ago and wasn’t much better on Sunday afternoon.

Last season with the Dodgers, Kazmir posted a 4.56 ERA with a 134/52 K/BB ratio in 136 1/3 innings, his worst numbers since returning to the majors in 2013.