[Update: 11:15 PM EST] Darvish again was one out away from completing a no-hitter. With two outs in the ninth inning, David Ortiz beat the shift, sending a grounder into right-center for a single. Manager Ron Washington immediately pulled Darvish from the game as the right-hander had thrown 126 pitches. Darvish’s final line: 8.2 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 2 BB, 12 K.
You may recall that Darvish was one out away from a perfect game on April 2, 2013 against the Astros. Marwin Gonzalez singled on a ground ball up the middle to end the bid.
* * *
[Update: 10:53 PM EST] Darvish has no-hit the Red Sox through eight innings. He walked another batter in the eighth so he now has two walks on the night along with 11 strikeouts and is at 113 pitches. Three outs to go.
* * *
Rangers starter Yu Darvish is working on a no-hitter. You’ve heard it before and you’ll certainly hear it again. The right-hander has held the Red Sox without a hit through seven innings tonight, striking out ten and walking one in the process.
The no-hitter stayed in tact thanks to a controversial ruling by the scorer. With two outs in the seventh, David Ortiz hit a blooper to shallow right field and it dropped untouched after miscommunication between rookie second baseman Rougned Odor and right fielder Alex Rios. The scorer assigned the error to Rios. Darvish followed up the event with a walk to Mike Napoli before getting Grady Sizemore to fly out to right field to end the inning.
In this writer’s humble opinion, that would have been ruled a hit in 29 out of 29 other ballparks and in 100 percent of non-perfect-game-related situations. So Ortiz’s bloop should have been ruled a hit. Here’s the video.
At any rate, we’ll keep you posted here as Darvish attempts to get six more outs to seal the no-hitter.
Ben Cafardo of the Boston Globe speculated on Sunday that there might be a connection between the Giants and veteran free agent right-hander John Lackey, and now FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that San Francisco is indeed in pursuit.
Rosenthal says the Giants, “like most clubs seeking pitching, [are] examining [a] wide range of options” in this starter-heavy free agent market. Lackey would make a ton of sense for any contender on something like a two-year deal. His free agency is tied to draft pick compensation, but that shouldn’t be much of a deterrent.
The 37-year-old right-hander registered a career-best 2.77 ERA across 218 innings (33 starts) this past season for the National League Central-champion Cardinals and he was St. Louis’ most reliable starter during the playoffs.
It’s well known that he wants to remain in the National League.
As first reported by beat writer Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have signed free agent catcher Geovany Soto to a one-year major league contract. MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez says the deal is worth $2.8 million guaranteed.
Soto will offer some veteran presence at catcher for the Halos alongside 25-year-old Carlos Perez, who hit .250/.299/.346 as a rookie in 2015.
Soto slashed .219/.301/.406 with nine homers in 78 games this summer for the White Sox.
The 32-year-old backstop is a .246/.331/.434 career hitter at the major league level.
According to the official Twitter account of the Chicago White Sox, the club acquired right-hander Tommy Kahnle from the Rockies on Tuesday evening in exchange for minor league pitcher Yency Almonte.
Kahnle was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week in a flurry of moves made in preparation of next month’s Rule 5 Draft. The 26-year-old former fifth-round pick posted an ugly 4.86 ERA, 1.77 WHIP, and 39/28 K/BB ratio in 33 1/3 innings this past season for Colorado and he wasn’t much better at Triple-A Albuquerque.
Almonte, 21, had a 3.41 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 110/38 K/BB ratio in 137 1/3 innings this past season between Low-A Kannapolis and High-A Winston-Salem.
It’s a straight one-for-one deal of two non-prospects, and the timing of it — in the evening, with Thanksgiving approaching — has our Craig Calcaterra wondering whether an executive was just trying to get out of some family responsibilities …
The other day Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the Padres were in discussions with former Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire about their bench coach job. Today Jon Heyman reports that the deal is done and will soon be announced.
McGwire has been the hitting coach for Los Angeles for the past three seasons. When his contract was not renewed following the end of 2015 he was rumored to be up for the Diamondbacks’ hitting coach job. He likely view staying in Southern California to be a plus, as he makes his home in Irvine, which is around 90 miles from Petco Park. That’s a long commute, but Mac can afford the gas, I guess.