The Nationals’ Kevin Frandsen says Anthony Rendon is “the best young guy we have”

43 Comments

Anthony Rendon is having a fantastic season so far. No doubt about that.

Nats’ utility guy Kevin Frandsen was on the D.C. radio show Sports Junkies on 106.7 The Fan this morning, and they asked him, of all the players on the team, who’s impressed him the most. Listen to who he mentioned as “the best young guy we have”

“Rendon,” Frandsen said. “Without a doubt.”

“He is as impressive as any young player; in all honesty, he’s the best young guy we have. By far,” he said. “I don’t think there’s anyone in the same sentence as him, as far as young guys.”

The hosts asked him specifically if he’s saying Rendon was better than Bryce Harper. This is the point in these kinds of interviews where the teammate will equivocate or talk about how it’s hard to choose or say they’re both awesome or something. But Frandsen stuck to his guns:

“Absolutely,” Frandsen said. “I would say that, because, this is a personal opinion, and watching it, and Tony, ah man, that is one of the coolest swings I’ve seen. And especially for, what is he, 23, 24-years-old?

“To be that consistent, to stay inside the baseball as consistently as he can, and to have that much pop. I don’t know how much the outside knows, but he hits balls farther than most people on the team. But he is so good, as far as staying inside and staying within himself, that just impresses me.

“And then moving from second to third, third back to second, second back to third, unbelievable. And his attitude, whether it’s a four-hit game, or 0-for-4, which rarely happens, it’s the same; it’s consistent; it’s just someone that you just enjoy watching all the time.”

Not a word about Harper. This a week after Tom Boswell — who reliably channels the messages of the Nationals front office — said that Harper may bt the Nats’ seventh best player and who said he’d be hard pressed to pick Harper over Rendon going forward.

Interesting.

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.