The White Sox announced this afternoon that outfielder Adam Eaton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring.
Eaton left last night’s game against the Indians with the injury. The 25-year-old told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com after the game that his hamstring has been bothering him for a little over a week and has gotten worse. He missed five games last month with an injury to the tendon in his left knee, so some time off his legs could be a good thing.
Acquired from the Diamondbacks in the three-team Mark Trumbo deal over the winter, Eaton is batting .276/.363/.378 with seven extra-base hits (including one home run), 14 RBI, two stolen bases, and 20 runs scored in 25 games this season. With the Eaton move, the White Sox now have seven players on the disabled list. Avisail Garcia, Conor Gillaspie, Jeff Keppinger, Chris Sale, Felipe Paulino, and Nate Jones are the others.
In addition to placing Eaton on the disabled list, the White Sox have called up left-hander Frank De Los Santos from Triple-A Charlotte and claimed outfielder Moises Sierra off waivers from the Blue Jays. Jones has been moved to the 60-day disabled list to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Sierra.
In a recent interview with Jon Greenberg of The Athletic, White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier took a swipe at the Reds’ front office. The rebuilding Reds traded Frazier to the White Sox as part of a three-team deal this past December.
After the season, Frazier will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility. Frazier told Greenberg he’d like to stay with the White Sox. He praised the club’s ownership and then, unprompted, he decided to castigate the Reds’ front office.
I would love to stay here. It’s a great club, great ownership. It was very different in Cincinnati, it wasn’t good. The bottom line here is these guys know what they’re doing. I see the guys [Hahn] gets, he’s not afraid to pull the trigger. You’ve got to have a guy like that. Whether it turns out to be for the best or not, you take a chance sometimes, and I think he’s done that a lot. It’s up to Jerry [Reinsdorf, owner] and Rick [Hahn, VP/GM] and their team to figure out what they want to do and it’s up to them.
It’s not clear if there are specific incidences to which Frazier could be alluding, but it’s a very obvious piece of criticism.
Frazier, 30, has regressed a bit offensively compared to the previous two seasons, batting .213/.295/.448 with 32 home runs and 81 RBI in 532 plate appearances. The White Sox could pursue trading him during the offseason.
Update (7:20 PM EDT): John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group reports that Crisp has indeed been traded, but there won’t be an official announcement until Wednesday. Crisp has already left the Athletics’ clubhouse.
Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Athletics and Indians are making progress on a trade that would send outfielder Coco Crisp to Cleveland. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports confirms Adams’ report. Crisp, who has 10-and-5 rights, has waived them in order to facilitate a deal.
Crisp, 36, is owed the remainder of his $11 million salary for the 2016 season and has a $13 million option for the 2017 season that vests if he reaches 550 plate appearances or plays in 130 games this season. He has already played in 102 games and logged 434 PA, batting .234/.299/.399 with 11 home runs and 47 RBI.
The Indians are still looking to bolster the outfield. Michael Brantley is expected to miss the rest of the season, Bradley Zimmer may not yet be ready for the majors, and Abraham Almonte is not eligible to play in the postseason after testing positive for boldenone in February.