Korean third baseman Jeong Choi may head to Major League Baseball after 2014 season

22 Comments

Melvin Roman, the Puerto Rico-based agent for Korean third baseman Jeong Choi, told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports on Sunday that his client is seriously considering leaving the KBO’s SK Wyverns after the 2014 season. “He has a strong desire to come and play in the major leagues,” Roman said.

Choi, who has been compared to Mets star David Wright for his good looks and well-rounded skillset, hit 28 home runs with a .429 on-base percentage and .551 slugging percentage in 2013 for SK Wyverns.

The 27-year-old has managed an OPS over .900 in four straight Korean Baseball Organization seasons.

Heyman suspects that the Diamondbacks, White Sox, and Red Sox could all be in the market for a big-time third baseman next winter — along with the Padres and Giants. Pablo Sandoval, Chase Headley, and Aramis Ramirez are among the current major league third basemen headed for the free agent market.

Bradley Zimmer ended his 0-for-August skid

Jason Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Indians rookie outfielder Bradley Zimmer entered Thursday’s doubleheader against the Twins hitless in the month of August. Having appeared in 13 games, he failed to get a hit in 39 trips to the plate. He knocked in just one run, scored twice, and drew five walks with 16 strikeouts.

It looked like the streak might continue, as Zimmer struck out twice, bunted into an out, and reached on a fielder’s choice in his first four at-bats. Fortunately, he got to face Glen Perkins in the ninth inning. Perkins hadn’t pitched in a major league game since April 10, 2016. Zimmer grounded a single to right field, ending his 0-for-August skid which had reached 43 plate appearances and 36 at-bats.

On the season, Zimmer is batting .245/.316/.400 with eight home runs, 38 RBI, 33 runs scored, and 14 stolen bases in 275 PA.

Twins activated Glen Perkins from the 60-day disabled list

Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Twins announced, prior to the start of Thursday afternoon’s game against the Indians (the first game of a double-header), that reliever Glen Perkins was activated from the 60-day disabled list. Perkins had been sidelined since April 2016, recovering from left labrum surgery.

From 2013-15, Perkins served as the Twins’ closer, recording 102 saves with a 3.08 ERA. He appeared in only two games last season before going down with the injury.

Perkins appeared in the ninth inning of the first game Thursday with the Twins trailing 7-3. It did not go well. He gave up two runs on two hits, one walk, and two hit batsmen before being lifted. Alan Busenitz came in and induced an inning-ending double play from Francisco Lindor.

The Twins will likely ease Perkins back by continuing to use him in lower-leverage situations. Perkins has a club option worth $6.5 million for 2018 with a $700,000 buyout. The Twins picking up that option likely hinges on how Perkins fares down the stretch.