2013 AL home run champ Chris Davis thought he could avoid the disabled list after suffering a strained oblique Friday, but following an MRI on Saturday, the Orioles made the decision to hold him out for 15 days.
“A little bit worse than what we thought it was going to be,” Davis said. “Strain, I guess is what we’re calling it. Obviously, the oblique. It’s kind of crazy because I don’t feel terrible. I’ve never had anything like this before. I figured it would just be a few days and then we’d forget about it.”
It’s a badly-timed injury for the Orioles, as they just DFA’d their backup first baseman, Steve Pearce, on Tuesday. As a result, they had Nick Markakis make his third career start at the position on Friday. Both of their first basemen in Triple-A, Brett Wallace and Chris Marrero, are off to lousy starts. Wallace, the former Astro, is hitting .167/.197/.208 with no homers in 72 at-bats, while Marrero, a longtime Nationals prospect, is at .210/.306/.371 in 62 at-bats.
As a result, the Orioles might just continue to go with Markakis at first, Nelson Cruz in right and a committee at DH for the next couple of weeks. Delmon Young would stand to be the biggest beneficiary there.
Free agent right-hander Tim Lincecum isn’t ready to hang up his cleats just yet. At least, that’s the word from Lincecum’s agent, Rick Thurman, who says the 32-year-old is still “throwing and getting ready for the season” (via Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News).
Lincecum may not be ready to enter retirement, but another quote from Thurman suggests that he’ll be picky about where he pitches next. He doesn’t appear open to pitching overseas, and despite not having a contract for 2017 (or even any serious suitors), the right-hander is set on pitching in the big leagues this year. Whether or not he’s willing to take a bullpen role to do so remains to be seen.
While Baggarly predicts some interest in the veteran righty, there’s not much in Lincecum’s recent history to inspire faith in him as a starter, or even a reliever. He picked up a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Angels following his hip surgery in 2015, and went 2-6 in 2016 with a 9.16 ERA, 5.4 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 over 38 1/3 innings. At this point, a minor league contract seems like the surest path back to major league success, though he’s unlikely to find an open spot on the Giants’ or Angels’ rosters anytime soon.
Free agent right-hander Jeff Manship has reportedly signed with the NC Dinos of the Korea Baseball Organization, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman. The righty was non-tendered by the Indians in December.
Manship, 32, completed his second season with Cleveland in 2016. He delivered a 3.12 ERA, 4.6 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 rate over 43 1/3 innings, a slight decline after posting an 0.92 ERA with the club the year before. During eight years in the major leagues, Manship carries a 4.82 career ERA, 3.6 BB/9 and 6.4 SO/9 in multiple stints with the Twins, Rockies, Phillies and Indians.
The right-hander will be joined by fellow MLB transplants Eric Hacker and Xavier Scruggs, each of whom took one-year deals with the Dinos last month. Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors notes that each KBO team is allowed up to three foreign players, so Manship will round out the trio when he joins the roster. Any salary terms have yet to be disclosed.