Update (9:47 PM): The Braves tacked on four runs of support after Harang was told he wasn’t coming back out for the eighth inning to complete his no-hitter. Lefty Luis Avilan replaced Harang in the bottom half of the eighth and retired the first two Mets hitters he faced, but surrendered a two-out single to David Wright, ending the no-hit bid. Avilan struck out Curtis Granderson to end the inning.
Braves starter Aaron Harang no-hit the Mets through seven innings in New York, kicking off the first of a three-game series. The tall, 35-year-old right-hander issued six walks, but the Mets otherwise weren’t able to get anything going offensively. Harang threw 121 pitches, so manager Fredi Gonzalez asked his bullpen to finish off the no-hitter for the veteran.
Chris Johnson gave Harang a bit of run support in the second inning with an RBI double. The Braves tacked on four more runs in the top of the eighth inning on a Freddie Freeman two-run home run, a throwing error by Travis d’Arnaud after Dan Uggla doubled, and an RBI double by Jordan Schafer.
Harang brought a no-hitter into the seventh inning in his Braves debut on April 2 against the Brewers. He’s been solid to start the season, entering the night with a 0.96 ERA over 18 2/3 innings in three starts. He lowered it to 0.70 ERA with his seven scoreless innings against the Mets.
The last Braves pitcher to toss a no-hitter was Kent Mercker on April 8, 1994. The last time the Mets were no-hit was on September 8, 1993 when Darryl Kile of the Astros accomplished the feat.
Free agent right-hander Tim Lincecum isn’t ready to hang up his cleats just yet. At least, that’s the word from Lincecum’s agent, Rick Thurman, who says the 32-year-old is still “throwing and getting ready for the season” (via Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News).
Lincecum may not be ready to enter retirement, but another quote from Thurman suggests that he’ll be picky about where he pitches next. He doesn’t appear open to pitching overseas, and despite not having a contract for 2017 (or even any serious suitors), the right-hander is set on pitching in the big leagues this year. Whether or not he’s willing to take a bullpen role to do so remains to be seen.
While Baggarly predicts some interest in the veteran righty, there’s not much in Lincecum’s recent history to inspire faith in him as a starter, or even a reliever. He picked up a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Angels following his hip surgery in 2015, and went 2-6 in 2016 with a 9.16 ERA, 5.4 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 over 38 1/3 innings. At this point, a minor league contract seems like the surest path back to major league success, though he’s unlikely to find an open spot on the Giants’ or Angels’ rosters anytime soon.
Free agent right-hander Jeff Manship has reportedly signed with the NC Dinos of the Korea Baseball Organization, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman. The righty was non-tendered by the Indians in December.
Manship, 32, completed his second season with Cleveland in 2016. He delivered a 3.12 ERA, 4.6 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 rate over 43 1/3 innings, a slight decline after posting an 0.92 ERA with the club the year before. During eight years in the major leagues, Manship carries a 4.82 career ERA, 3.6 BB/9 and 6.4 SO/9 in multiple stints with the Twins, Rockies, Phillies and Indians.
The right-hander will be joined by fellow MLB transplants Eric Hacker and Xavier Scruggs, each of whom took one-year deals with the Dinos last month. Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors notes that each KBO team is allowed up to three foreign players, so Manship will round out the trio when he joins the roster. Any salary terms have yet to be disclosed.