Mat Latos undergoes MRI on forearm

10 Comments

UPDATE: Latos told C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer that it’s actually his forearm that’s bothering him and that he went for an MRI today. He’s still awaiting the results.

10:58 a.m. ET: Reds right-hander Mat Latos was scratched from his second minor league rehab start on Tuesday due to right elbow inflammation and John Fay and C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer report that he felt continued discomfort during a bullpen session yesterday.

Latos declined to speak to reporters after throwing, but Reds trainer Paul Lessard said that he will be shut down for a few days.

“There was still a little tenderness in the flexor mass,” Lessard said. “It’s back to more treatment, instead of pitching. We were hoping if the bullpen went well today that maybe he could pitch on Sunday or Monday. That doesn’t look reasonable right now.

“We’ve got to take some time and get him stronger and less painful, hopefully pain-free.”

Latos was forced to begin the year on the disabled list following left knee surgery in February, but he also had an elbow cleanup procedure in October. His absence appears likely to stretch into May at this point. Alfredo Simon will continue to fill his spot in the starting rotation for now.

Report: Royals sign Neftali Feliz

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
1 Comment

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.

Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.

The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.

Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base upon return from DL

Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images
1 Comment

Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.

Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.

In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).