Yankees right-hander Michael Pineda has dominated the Red Sox so far tonight and it looks like he could be using some pine tar to help shut them down. Or at least improve his grip on the baseball. You be the judge:
This is probably more common that we realize, but that looks pretty obvious. Interestingly, Pineda is starting tonight against Clay Buchholz, who was accused of using sunscreen on a baseball last year. Also, don’t forget that some suspected that Jon Lester used a substance to doctor the baseball during the World Series against the Cardinals. The Red Sox are surely aware of what Pineda is doing, but maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that John Farrell hasn’t complained.
UPDATE: According to the YES broadcast of the game, it looks like Pineda no longer has the substance on his hand.
UPDATE II: Pineda struck out seven batters over six innings of one-run ball for his first victory in MLB since July 30, 2011. Per Erik Boland of New York Newsday, Pineda said after the game that he had dirt on his hand. Alrighty then. Meanwhile, David Ortiz told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal that “everybody uses pine tar” and it’s “not a big deal.” Umpire Brian O’Nora told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that “the Red Sox didn’t bring it to our attention so there’s nothing we can so about it.”
The Mets have begun working outfielder Jay Bruce and second baseman Neil Walker at first base as potential insurance in the event Lucas Duda continues to experience back discomfort, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports. Duda has been sidelined recently due to back spasms and missed all but 47 games last season as a result of a stress fracture in his lower back.
Manager Terry Collins spoke about Bruce’s work at first base on Sunday, saying, “I liked everything I saw today. “It looks like he’s got the athleticism, he’s got the hands, he’s got the arm angle. He made some throws in our drills that you wouldn’t expect an outfielder to be able to make, but yet he does. If that’s where we have to go, I think we’ll be fine.”
Bruce has only three games’ worth of experience at first base at the major league level, but still has high expectations for himself. He said, “I am going to work at it. I want to give myself a chance and the team a chance. I am not going to go over there and be a butcher. It’s just not the way I go about my business on the baseball field and it wouldn’t be fair to the team if I wasn’t capable to do it, so I am going to work at it and we’ll see what happens.”
The Mets made Bruce available via trade over the offseason but didn’t get an offer that whet their appetite. As a result, Michael Conforto appears to be the odd man out in the Mets’ crowded outfield.
Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis has been diagnosed with a strained rotator cuff in his right shoulder, MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports. Kipnis has received a cortisone shot and will be shut down from throwing for the next four to five days.
There’s a lot of spring left, so it’s perfectly sensible for the Indians to play it safe with their star player. The club already had Kipnis on a shoulder strengthening program.
Kipnis, 29, helped the Indians to the playoffs after batting .275/.343/.469 with 23 home runs, 92 RBI, 91 runs scored, and 15 stolen bases in 688 plate appearances during the regular season last year. He then helped the Indians reach Game 7 of the World Series against the Cubs, where they were eventually stopped, as he provided a .741 OPS including four homers and eight RBI in 15 playoff games.