Jose Reyes placed on disabled list with hamstring tightness

51 Comments

UPDATE: The move is now official. Jonathan Diaz has been called up to replace Reyes on the roster.

10:05 p.m: Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports that Reyes will be placed on the disabled list. This confirms a report from ESPN’s Jayson Stark.

7:51 p.m. ET: According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Reyes will undergo an MRI on Tuesday. It sounds like a trip to the DL is likely.

7:15 p.m. ET: If the Blue Jays are going to surprise some folks in 2014, they are going to need some better luck on the health front than they had last year. Well, they are off to a bad start in that regard.

According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Jose Reyes was forced to leave today’s Opening Day contest against the Rays after just one at-bat due to left hamstring tightness. It’s a troubling development, as the very same hamstring was giving him trouble toward the end of spring training. He was able to play in the team’s final two exhibition games in Montreal over the weekend, but he’s clearly not back to 100 percent. Given his long history of hamstring issues, a trip to the disabled list would not be surprising.

Reyes, 30, hit .296/.353/.427 with 10 home runs, 37 RBI, and 15 stolen bases over 93 games with Toronto last year. He missed a large chunk of the season with an ankle injury.

Report: Christian Yelich’s relationship with Marlins ‘irretrievably broken’

Rich Schultz/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Joe Longo, the agent of Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich, said his client’s relationship with the Marlins is “irretrievably broken,” ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports. He believes in the best interest of both Yelich and the Marlins to work out a trade before the start of spring training.

Longo said,

They have a plan. I respect that plan, but that plan shouldn’t include Christian at this point in his career. He’s in the middle of the best years of his career, and having him be part of a 100-loss season is not really where [we] want to see him going.

The relationship between player and team is irretrievably broken. It’s soured. He’s part of the old ownership regime. The new ownership regime needs to get new parts into this plan and move forward, and he needs to get on with his career where he’s got a chance to win. The big issue is him winning and winning now.

He loves the city of Miami. He loves the fans. He’s had nothing but a good experience in South Florida, and he feels sorry where they ended up. But I think having him report [to spring training] and attempting to include him moving forward is going to be uncomfortable for both sides. I don’t see how it’s going to work.

This certainly comes as no surprise considering the offseason the Marlins have had after installing new ownership, going from Jeffrey Loria to Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter. The club traded All-Star outfielder Giancarlo Stanton, who hit 59 home runs last season, as well as Dee Gordon and Marcell Ozuna. As Crasnick notes, Yelich isn’t the only player to express disappointment with the Marlins’ current direction — J.T. Realmuto and Starlin Castro have as well.

Yelich, 26, signed a seven-year, $49.57 million contract extension with the Marlins in March of 2015. Given his career performance, that’s a bargain of a contract, which is why more than a handful of teams have inquired with the Marlins about him this offseason. Yelich finished the past season with a .282/.369/.439 triple-slash line along with 18 home runs, 81 RBI, 100 runs scored, and 16 stolen bases in 695 plate appearances.