Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is reporting that the Indians have signed catcher George Kottaras to a minor league deal. He adds that there is a “seemingly good chance” for him to join the big league club soon. At the moment, third baseman Carlos Santana is the back-up to Yan Gomes behind the plate in Cleveland.
Kottaras participated in spring training with the Cubs, who purchased him from the Royals back in November. However, the Cubs released him on Wednesday.
Kottaras, 30, has a career .730 OPS in 820 career plate appearances over seven seasons in the big leagues.
OXON HILL, MD — The folks behind the World Baseball Classic today announced an initial list of 30 players who have confirmed their participation in the 2017 World Baseball Classic. The confirmed players:
- Canada: Russell Martin
- Colombia: Jose Quintana and Julio Teheran
- The Dominican Republic: Adrian Beltre, Dellin Betances, Robinson Canó, Nelson Cruz and Manny Machado
- Mexico: Adrian Gonzalez, Oliver Perez and Roberto Osuna
- Netherlands: Xander Bogaerts, Jonathan Schoop and Andrelton Simmons
- Puerto Rico: Javier Baez, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Correa, Francisco Lindor and Yadier Molina
- United States: Chris Archer, Nolan Arenado, Adam Jones, Andrew McCutchen, Buster Posey and Max Scherzer
- Venezuela: Jose Altuve, Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Gonzalez, Felix Hernandez and Salvador Perez.
There will be more later — rosters do not have to be firmed up until early February — but that’s a pretty good list for now.
Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets will try veteran Jose Reyes in the outfield during spring training ahead of the 2017 season. Reyes, who has been in the majors over parts of 14 seasons, hasn’t logged any time in the outfield as a professional baseball player.
Despite Reyes’ involvement in a domestic violence issue last offseason, the Mets acquired him after the Rockies released him in June, following a 51-game suspension. He hit .267/.326/.443 with 25 extra-base hits, 24 RBI, and 45 runs scored in 279 plate appearances, spending most of his time at third base in place of the injured David Wright.
The Mets’ outfield is set with Yoenis Cespedes and Michael Conforto plus one of Curtis Granderson or Jay Bruce. Reyes and Juan Lagares would serve as backups.