Giants’ Marco Scutaro, Jeremy Affeldt to begin season on disabled list

2 Comments

Alex Pavlovic of the Mercury News reports that the Giants will begin the season with second baseman Marco Scutaro and reliever Jeremy Affeldt on the disabled list. Scutaro has missed almost all of the spring with a bad back, while Affeldt suffered a strained medial collateral ligament in his right knee. The Giants placed Scutaro on the DL retroactive to March 21 and Affeldt retroactive to March 23.

With Scutaro out, manager Bruce Bochy says Joaquin Arias will get the “lion’s share” of playing time at second base, per MLB.com’s Alex Espinoza. Ehire Adrianza and Brandon Hicks will get the remaining playing time at the position.

Grant Brisbee of SB Nation’s McCovey Chronicles suggests David Huff should make the team as a result of Affeldt’s injury. Huff would serve as the second lefty out of the bullpen and as a long reliever.

Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”