UPDATE: The Braves just announced that they have signed Garcia to a one-year major league contract.
7:11 p.m. ET: It’s done. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Braves are signing Harang. He’ll presumably begin the year with a rotation spot.
6:30 p.m. ET: The Braves made a surprising decision earlier today when they cut veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia loose, but it appears that they already have a potential replacement in mind for the rotation.
Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that the Braves have interest in free agent right-hander Aaron Harang. The 35-year-old was granted his release by the Indians earlier today after he was informed that he would not make the team’s Opening Day roster.
Harang pitched well in a small sample this spring, allowing two runs on eight hits and two walks over nine innings of work, but he’s coming off a rough 5.40 ERA and 113/40 K/BB ratio over 143 1/3 innings last season between the Mariners and the Mets. This would be a lateral move at best for pitching-starved Atlanta, so letting Garcia go today continues to look like a head-scratcher.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.