We’re mere hours away from the official start of the regular season, when the Dodgers and Diamondbacks will square off in Australia. The Dodgers have made some last-minute roster decisions which includes 27-year-old Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero making the Opening Day roster.
The Dodgers have placed Matt Kemp, Josh Beckett, and Chad Billingsley on the disabled list retroactive to March 19, per the team’s official Twitter. Dan Haren, Zack Greinke, and Brandon League have been placed under a roster exemption while Carl Crawford has been put on paternity leave, also per the team’s Twitter. Because he has options, the Dodgers optioned catcher Tim Federowicz to Triple-A to keep Drew Butera around as the back-up catcher. Lastly, Joc Pederson, Zach Lee, and Miguel Rojas have also been optioned to the minor leagues.
Justin Turner will start at second base and bat second in the lineup. Guerrero could be used as a pinch-hitter in either of the two games in Australia against the D-Backs. Because he still needs to make some defensive adjustments, Guerrero is likely to report to Triple-A before the Dodgers open up the regular season back in the United States on March 30 in San Diego.
The 2017 MLB award season officially drew to a close on Friday with the Esurance MLB Awards, handed out to the best hitters, pitchers, front office members and moments in the 2017 season. Jose Altuve was crowned the Best Major Leaguer overall, beating out fellow finalists Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, while two-time Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber took home honors as Best Pitcher.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Rookie: Aaron Judge
- Best Defensive Player: Nolan Arenado
- Personality of the Year: Adrian Beltre
- Best Postseason Major Leaguer: Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander
- Best Postseason Moment: Alex Bregman‘s 10th inning walk-off single in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best TV/Radio Call: Joe Buck and John Smoltz call Jose Altuve’s game-tying three-run blast in Game 5 of the World Series (video)
- Best Play (Offense): Nolan Arenado completes the cycle with a walk-off homer (video)
- Best Play (Defense): Austin Jackson‘s over-the-wall catch in the Red Sox’ bullpen (video)
- Best Single-Game Performance: Anthony Rendon‘s six-hit, three-homer, 10-RBI game (video)
- Best Player-Fan Interaction: Joey Votto gives Walter “Superbubz” Herbert a bat and jersey (video)
- Best Fan Catch: Fan’s brother-in-law grabs Yasiel Puig home run ball and chucks it back on the field (video)
- Best Manager: A.J. Hinch
- Best Executive: Jeff Luhnow
No surprises here — the world champion Astros ran away with seven awards, including those for Best Manger and Executive and a dual award for Best Major Leaguer of the Postseason. Altuve added to an impressive run this offseason after earning a Silver Slugger, two Players Choice Awards, Hank Aaron Award and MVP Award for his outstanding work in 2017, while Yankees’ slugger Aaron Judge continued to be a lock for all AL rookie-based awards after locking down the Rookie of the Year title earlier this week.