Jose Iglesias out 4-6 months, could miss entire season

32 Comments

Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias has been diagnosed with stress fractures in both legs and the team announced today that he’s expected to miss a minimum of 4-6 months, putting his entire season in jeopardy.

Iglesias was initially diagnosed with stress reactions, but Cash Kruth of MLB.com reports that further examination discovered fractures and significantly increased his recovery timetable.

Iglesias was slated to be Detroit’s starting shortstop this season after the Tigers acquired him from the Red Sox in the middle of last year to replace the suspended Jhonny Peralta. Peralta has since left as a free agent, signing with the Cardinals, and the slick-fielding, weak-hitting Iglesias looked ready to take over as the long-term starter.

Rookie manager Brad Ausmus has said that defense will be the priority in finding a replacement shortstop and speculation that the Tigers could make a late run at free agent Stephen Drew appears to have little behind it.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
1 Comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
6 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.