Scott Boras says clients Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales still willing to wait for the right deal

42 Comments

With about two weeks to go until the start of the regular season, shortstop Stephen Drew and first baseman/DH Kendrys Morales still remain unemployed. Both players rejected $14.1 million qualifying offers from the Red Sox and Mariners, respectively, hoping to sign big, multi-year contracts, but it never happened. Meanwhile, players like Nelson Cruz and Ervin Santana, who also rejected qualifying offers, settled for one-year deals to find a home and get into shape before the start of the regular season.

Boras says his two clients, who continue to work out in Florida, will wait for the right deal, reports ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick. Both could even wait as long as after the draft, when the draft pick compensation attached to them would disappear, making them more attractive to prospective teams and giving them more leverage in negotiations.

Boras criticized the qualifying offer system, even going so far as to call it “jail”.

“The system they’ve been dealt has basically prevented them from free agency,” Boras said. “They want to make sure about their next step, whatever that will be. It means either signing a long-term contract now — and we’re still taking offers on those — or a number of other prospects that could occur after the season starts or in June, after the draft happens.

“Like any players, they want to play baseball. But they’re also looking at the long-term aspect of their careers. This system has placed them not in free agency, but it’s placed them in a jail.”

The Mets have been the team most frequently linked to Drew, as they will otherwise go into the regular season with Ruben Tejada as their everyday shortstop. As Dan Martin of the New York Post reports, however, Drew is still seeking a multi-year deal and the Mets aren’t interested in committing to him beyond one year. ESPN’s Jim Bowden reports that the Mariners are still pursuing Morales.

Freddie Freeman exits game after being hit on wrist by pitch

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
1 Comment

Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman had to exit Wednesday night’s game against the Phillies after he was hit on the left wrist by a Hoby Milner fastball in the bottom of the eighth inning. Charlie Culberson pinch-ran for him and stayed in the game to play first base.

You may recall that Freeman’s left wrist is the one that was fractured by an Aaron Loup pitch last year. Understandably, there’s some concern here. The Braves should provide an update later tonight or on Thursday.

Freeman went 1-for-3 in Wednesday’s game before exiting. On the season, he’s batting .288/.468/.492 with two home runs, 12 RBI, and 12 runs scored in 79 plate appearances.