Mat Latos throws first bullpen session of spring

2 Comments

Reds right-hander Mat Latos needed surgery in early February for a torn meniscus in his left knee and has yet to appear in a Cactus League game. But he took a significant step forward on Wednesday in camp:

Mat Latos threw off of the mound for the first time since his left knee surgery on Feb. 14 to repair a meniscus tear. Latos threw 20 pitches, including five changeups. The rest, he said, were two-seam and four-seam fastballs.

That report comes from MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.

“Everything feels fantastic,” Latos told Sheldon shortly after the workout. “I expected a little bit of soreness while I was throwing or to feel it once or twice. … I let go for the last one and cut it loose and didn’t feel anything in the knee or the elbow. That’s a plus.”

Latos seems unlikely to pitch on Opening Day (March 31 against the Cardinals) but he should be ready by the first or second week of April. The 26-year-old registered a 3.16 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 187 strikeouts in 210 2/3 innings last season for Cincinnati. He is eligible to become a free agent after the 2015 campaign.

Kris Bryant exits game with sprained right ankle

Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Cubs had a scare on Wednesday night when third baseman Kris Bryant left with an apparent ankle injury. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Nationals catcher Matt Wieters hit a pop up that veered just into foul territory near the third base bag. Bryant caught it but his momentum took him back into fair territory. In doing so, he stepped awkwardly on the third base bag and appeared to twist his ankle. Bryant needed the assistance of manager Joe Maddon and the team trainer to get off the field.

Bryant was diagnosed with a mild ankle sprain, CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney reports.

Bryant was 2-for-3 on the night before departing and being replaced by Jeimer Candelario. He’s now hitting .264/.395/.520 with 16 home runs and 32 RBI in 329 plate appearances. Needless to say, the 39-39 Cubs would see their playoff odds hurt immensely if Bryant were to miss a significant amount of time.

Miguel Sano will participate in the 2017 Home Run Derby

Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hector Gomez reports Twins third baseman Miguel Sano will participate in the 2017 Home Run Derby, to be held in two weeks at Marlins Park in Miami. So far, Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton is the only other confirmed participant.

Sano, 24, is having an outstanding season, batting .274/.375/.548 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 293 plate appearances. According to MLB’s Statcast, only Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge (96.7 MPH) has a higher average exit velocity than Sano (96.4 MPH).

Brian Dozier was the last member of the Twins to participate in the Home Run Derby. In 2014 at Target Field, Dozier failed to make it into the second round after hitting only two home runs. Justin Morneau is the only Twin to have ever won the Home Run Derby, as he beat Josh Hamilton 5-3 in the finals of the 2008 Derby at Yankee Stadium — although Hamilton out-homered him in total 35 to 22.