Jon Lester said last month that he would be willing to take a discount in order to stay with the Red Sox for the long-term. While he’s currently due to hit free agency after the season, he recently told CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman that he’s still hoping to work out an extension with Boston.
“I don’t like change,” Lester said in an interview with CBSSports.com about a week ago. “I like being where I’ve been. I like the people. I like the surroundings. It feels like home.”
While Lester would like to get a deal done before Opening Day, he won’t put a deadline on talks. As for the Red Sox, they spoke in more general terms, but it’s clear they’d like to keep him if the price is right.
“We appreciate him saying he wants to be a Red Sox. We’re crazy about him,” Werner said, speaking while standing next to Henry.
“We’d all love him to stay and hope he’s pitching for the Red Sox past this year,” Werner continued. “He’s been such a valuable player for us. It would be a great deal for the organization if we can figure out an extension.”
We could see some movement soon, as Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reported yesterday that Lester’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, arrived in Red Sox camp.
After a career-worst 4.82 ERA in 2012, Lester bounced back last season by posting a 3.75 ERA in 33 regular season starts and a 1.75 ERA in five postseason starts. He’ll turn 31 years old next January, so a five-year extension in the range of $100 million is a possible benchmark.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.
Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.
The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.
Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.
Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.
In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).