ervin santana getty

Ervin Santana would rather sit out until June than take a Nelson Cruz-like contract

40 Comments

As D.J. Short wrote earlier, free agent starter Ervin Santana is drawing interest from several teams including the Orioles and Rangers. But as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports, the right-hander says he would rather sit out until June — draft pick compensation disappears after the draft — than take a deal similar to the one-year, $8 million contract outfielder Nelson Cruz signed with the Orioles earlier today. The $8 million Cruz will be paid is significantly lower than the $14.1 million qualifying offer he rejected from the Rangers in November.

The compensation system has drawn some criticism lately. Free agent shortstop Stephen Drew thinks the system needs tweaking. Tony Clark, head of the MLBPA, said that it “is a concern” adding that this situation would be a “topic of discussion”. It is unlikely any significant changes will be made until the collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2016 season.

Diamondbacks sign Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million deal

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - JUNE 14:  Jeff Mathis #6 of the Miami Marlins hits a grand slam during the first inning of a baseball game against the San Diego Padres at PETCO Park on June 14, 2016 in San Diego, California.   (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.

Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.

As the D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.

Jimmy Rollins wants to play in 2017

ARLINGTON, TX - MAY 10:  Jimmy Rollins #7 of the Chicago White Sox at Globe Life Park in Arlington on May 10, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
1 Comment

ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that free agent shortstop Jimmy Rollins wants to continue playing in 2017.

Rollins, 38, signed a minor league deal with the White Sox for the 2016 season but hit a disappointing .221/.295/.329 over 166 plate appearances. The club released Rollins in the middle of June and he did not sign with a new team. He did join TBS as part of their playoff coverage.

Rollins is almost certainly looking at another minor league contract and will have to earn his way onto a major league roster by performing well in spring training.